Definition of birth.

birth (bûrth)
n.
1. The emergence and separation of offspring from the body of the mother.
2. The act or process of bearing young; parturition.
3. The circumstances or conditions relating to this event, as its time or location.
4. The set of characteristics or circumstances received from one's ancestors; inheritance.
5. Origin; extraction.

According to this definition having a C-section is giving birth!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have had both vag. and c-sections.. with both kinds I always felt that I had given birth only with the sections I was in a lot more pain. I don't understand how some can say one is giving birth and one is not. A new life still comes forth from it's mother's womb.

Anonymous

• was someone being catty over birth experiences?
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 5:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I agree. Having a C-section IS giving birth.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 5:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• what's the question? lol
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 5:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Yes . there have been several comments on many posts the last few days that said a woman who had a c-section did not give birth, they didn't work for it.. they had a surgical procedure. so I thought I would post the definition of birth.

Anonymous

• There are many ways to become a mother. Anyone who would say that a woman who had a C-section didn't give birth was being dumb. I think we do WAAAYYY to many sections in this country, and there are serious risks to doing so, but IN NO WAY does choosing one make a woman ANY LESS A MOTHER.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• i had vaginal births and i agree c-section is giving birth, painful recovery!! if the baby came put of my body thru my belly or bagina i gave birth!! now would i ever want to have a c-section hell no!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• i had to have an emergency c section and i did not feel that i gave birth to my son...i felt like i was ready to and the doctors doped me up and cut my baby out of me...i was shaking so bad from the drugs i could'nt even hold my son..i was so nervous. I really felt cheated at first but i was just happy my son was healthy after all was said and done. definition of birth...yes..birth is being born...giving birth, NO. Not by c section. giving birth is when your child is passed through the birth canal and comes out your vagina
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Duh! Who said a c-section is not giving birth?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2009