How can you supplement your disability (aka maternity leave) with other jobs?

I live in California and just started my maternity leave. I found out that basically it won't be enough for us to live on and my car needs work. Is there a way that you can work from home and still get money from the government? If so what websites would you recommend?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• I guess I am not following you... you got disability for being on maternity leave? That hardly seems right to me. Disability is for people who cannot work due to, well, them being disabled. You are not disabled and you are able to work... so, I am not seeing the connection, unless it's fraud...
    Anonymous

• I have never heard of maternity leave as a disability...however you may just have to google work at home jobs and see what you can come up with.Is there anyway you can work from home for your employer(I assume you previously worked)Good luck.
    Nattiesmom9603

Answer by Nattiesmom9603 at 8:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Maternity leave is usually paid for by your employer, not the government. The government simply made the law that forces employers to allow you to leave work for family issues. If you are on maternity leave, but able to work and want to make more money, you should consider returning to your full time job. You could work on the side from home, but I can't imagine your employer would be thrilled to find out they're paying you while you're working for somebody else from home. Are you willing to risk your job?

If you are collecting the money from the government, but are interested in working on the side to get more money while the government pays you disability, then that's illegal. It's called fraud.
    Anonymous