Is this true about the planet Pluto?

It is not considered a planet anymore because it blew up?

Atleast this is what my kids are telling me...I hope not poor little planet :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Last I heard it was because it didn't meet the requirements (size i think) anymore to be considered a planet. I'd like to know who thought that rule up. So does that mean when a lake gets smaller it must now be called a pond?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• it is not considered a planet anymore, apparently it is not dense enough or large enough to qualify, by NASA standards, it is now considered a large satelite, though this screws with my head because i grew up hearing about planet pluto, and now sailor moon does not work the way it used to.
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 6:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• It's been demoted to a dwarf-planet. Pluto is now considered the largest member of a distinct population called the Kuiper belt.
    Anonymous

• Pluto hasn't been a planet for a few years because it is too small. Go to www.nasakids.com and there is info on there about it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Pluto is still a planet, just not one of the major planets. It is now classified as a dwarf planet, just like Ceres and Eris are. There are 3 things that scientists use to classify a planet- 1. it orbits around the sun, 2. It's gravity is strong enough to assume a mostly round shape, and 3- it has cleared the debris in its atmosphere. There is a very cute book that a classroom created called "Poor Pluto", and it explains all of this.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2009