How can i encourge my 14 month old daughter to walk?

My daughter has just turned 14months and she seems to have no ambition to walk. On a daily basis I do the walk and hold her hand thing. I sit things infront of here to encourge her to walk towards it but she just ends up crawling. It seems as if she doesnt realize the benefits of walking. I have done all I can think of.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She'll do it when she's ready. For all you know, she's fully aware of what's going on, and is just being stubborn and refusing because you're trying so hard to make her walk. Give up, let her do her own thing, and before you know it, she'll be walking and you'll wish she was still crawling!
    Anonymous

• Believe it or not, I did the same things. they walk when they are ready. My son had the wrong remote control for the tv. He got frustrated and stood up on his wobbly legs and took 9 steps towards the tv. He was 13 months old. it's coming, trust me. Just when they are ready.

I know how you feel though. I have friends whose kids were walking at 9 months. Thats when my son started crawling.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 7:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I'm in the same boat! My son turned 14 months on the 2nd and he would just rather crawl! Just within the last 2 days he has started letting go of furniture and trying to stand on his own, but whenever I try to get him to walk, he'd rather just "fall" into me and then starts laughing!

I have noticed that his legs are very strong and when he does walk, I don't think he'll fall nearly as much as if he was walking a few months ago! They say sometimes it's better when they do wait longer because they have a lot more balance!

Just think, once they do start walking/running, we'll be wishing we were back at this stage again! =)
    Anonymous

• My 14 month old didn't care about walking until she started spending a lot of time with an older baby (22mo) who runs everywhere. She wants to keep up with her baby peers I guess, so now she's very determined, yanking on my arms so I'll walk with her and pushing chairs all over the house. She's standing by herself now, but not taking steps without support yet. Maybe have her around older babies, not too much older but walking?
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 10:07 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• babies do everything when they are ready from eating solids to crawling to walking to talking. my daughter didnt walk untill almost 15 months, and one day she just stood up and walked. but i never really put shoes on my daughter because it was summer time and she would take them off anyways. it also takes the right person to make her walk, try grandparents or your friends to walk with the baby too. my neighbor came over once and i was pissing and moaning that shes not walking. she stood her up and told her to walk and she did, it was amazing, dont worry about her not walking yet, as long as your baby hits most other milestones and gains weight and is healthy, than you have nothing to worry about, hang in there!
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 10:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2009