Help, I am terrified of the dentist!

Okay had major dental work my whole life, my orthodontist felt me up the whole time I was going to him, I cannot bear to go to the dentist, I do but only when I really have too, is there anyway to overcome this? I sometimes get to the office door and leave because I am suffering panic attack, any ideas???/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Health

• Find a dentist who specializes in nervous patients and voice your fears. Also, try to have someone with you who can sit in the room or something. If your dentist hears your story, I am sure, he or she will oblige with your wish to have someone you know and are comfortable with in the room during the exam/work.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:58 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Would finding a female dentist help?
    Anonymous

• I was scared snotless too the first time I went back as an adult. I called, said I wanted an appointment just for a consult (x-rays, what work would have to be done, etc), and also I wanted to make sure ahead of time that they wouldn't do anything I was uncomfortable with (having my teeth/gums poked with the sharp pokey-thing, etc). When I got there, I told the nurse, I told the dentist, I told everyone who worked on me, don't do anything I don't like or I'm outta here! They were really good about it. They also gave me...argh, can't remember the name, but a med that helps you relax - I took one the night before my big "work" appointment to help me sleep, and the other an hour before the appointment. They also gave me the maximum gas (and actually a little more) and maximum novocaine (again, a little extra). It worked, I got the first round of necessary work done - just have to find the money for round 2! GL! Voice your fears!
    Anonymous