BF question- which boob to use? when to switch out?

i bf on the left last feeding but both my boobs feel full- should i nurse again on the left or on the right now? do i have to switch boobs every feeding? or should i concentrate on emptying one all the way?

tips please, they both feel equally full right now

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 7:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can nurse on the right and then on the left if ur baby is still hungry...that's what i do
    excited2bemommy

Answer by excited2bemommy at 7:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• you will nevr empty all the way your breast are lawyas making milk. do ypu ahve a pump. amybe you can nurse baby on one side and pump the other. some moms offer both breast others one breast per feeding and then each feeding is a different side.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I always nursed on both sides for equal time. Then for the next feeding, which ever breast I nursed on last, I started on that one first. When babies start a feeding, they are really hungry, so the first breast you offer will get very vigorous stimulation. When you switch sides & baby isn't quite as hungry they don't suck as vigorously or as strong & so that breast doesn't get the same amount of stimulation so it's not getting as strong of a signal to produce much milk. If you alternate which breast you start on, they will both get a strong stimulation & will help to keep your milk supply up on both sides equally. If you put a safety pin on the bra strap of the side you nursed on last, you will know to start on that one at the next feeding.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 7:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• BlessedMommy64 covered it great. I also recommend the safety pin to my moms. If you forget to move it for one feeding, no biggy, but generally feed on both breast each feeding for about 15 min each and start on the opposite breast each time.
    obrn4u

Answer by obrn4u at 8:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I was told it was better to feed on one breast as long as baby would feed, even 2 feedings in a row, so that baby doesn't get just foremilk - the hindmilk is very necessary, and switching sides too soon, whether in one feeding or split between 2, will not let baby get enough of the hindmilk.I would nurse on one side 2 feedings in a row, and pump the other for the freezer, then switch - that way you have some milk stored up when baby's older - whether for going away or if anything happens that you can't bf for a day or two.
    Anonymous