Isn't bed-sharing dangerous?

I hear so many moms say that they bed-share with their infants. Didn't the hospitals and doctors advise you against this bc of the risk of SIDS? Personally, I won't risk my baby dying simply bc I don't want to get up and walk to his crib in the middle of the night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've always heard the same thing, Op, and for that reason I won't co-sleep until my son is older. They always warn you about certain things to prevent sudden infant death syndrome. They say not to co-sleep, to make sure they lie on their back, and not to have blankets or pillows in the crib. I've also heard that pacifiers can help to prevent it, as well as having a fan going to circulate the air. There may still be a risk, but I follow every single precaution.Co-sleeping may not end up hurting him, but I just can't risk it because if something happened to him that could ahve been prevented, I'd die. I don't take any chances with my baby, even if I do want to sleep with him. Occasionally if I take a nap, I'll lay him next to me, but only if my husband is home and can make sure that I don't roll over onto him or something.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 8:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• actually sids used to be called crib death most babies who ahve dies or sids , ahve been in tehir cribs. the only time a bay has dies cuz of bedsahring is cuz the parebst were medicated or drunk. so yeah nice try, but actually bed sharing regukates the baby brething and is also good for them. i bedshare with my d till 24mts and niow am bed sharing with our 8 mth old.. bed sharing can be dione safely maybe you should klearn about before judging people.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• No, Bed sharing is NOT any more of a danger than a crib. In fact you have a higher chance of a SIDS baby in a crib than you do in your bed. Not to mention it's a healthier way for your child to bond with you and you with her...

My peds has 6 kids. And co-slept with ALL of them. I know because I told her that we co-sleep and she told me she did with all of hers until they were 2. I would have to say that if it was so dangerous a pediatrician would know.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• IS FUNY HOW SOME PEOPLE BELIEV EVERYTHING THEIR DOCTORS SAY. FF BABIES HAVE A HIGHER CHANCE OF DYING OF SIDS THE BF BABIES,. I FF MY FIRST AND I ALSO BEDSHARE AND SHE IS STILL ALIVE, THEY ALSO SAY KIDS WHO DONT USE PACIFIERS OR THOSE WHO ARE VACCINATED ALSO HAVE A HIGHER CHANCE OF DYING OF SIDS. IF THE BAY IS GOING TO DIE FROM SIDS IS GOING TO HAPEEN, IN A CRIB, BED OR SOFA. EDUCATE YOURSLEF!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• HAPPEN
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Actually, GENIUS(piwife), SIDS is basically suffocation and/or a build of of carbon dioxide. Babies can get it when either smothered by a parent sharing the same bed, or from pockets of carbon dioxide built up in blankets near their face. Do you sleep without blankets? I doubt it. Maybe you should become more educated before you run your mouth, because you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. You also may want to learn some grammar so that you can help your children with their homework once they reach kindergarten
    Anonymous

• If the bay is going to die? What does a bay have to do with anything?
    Anonymous

• Sabrina, my childs pediatrician, as well as the entire staff at one of the best hospitals in northern California disagree with your pediatrician. What year did you give birth?
    Anonymous

• I personaly will never share a bed with an infant only because of the way i sleep! my husband is always wakin up with marks cuz i either kicked him or hit him im a very violent sleeper!
    Anonymous

• regukates the baby brething and is also good for them

Regukates brething? And you're telling me to get an education, piwife? Seriously? Ha!
    Anonymous