If your child is overweight...

Where have you gone wrong in parenting to make your child overweight? Are you over weight yourself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I do sometimes blame the parents. I sell candy bars for the school once a week and the larger kids often buy a few candy bars and the "normal" kids usually only buy one. Not to mention what some of those same kids bring in their lunches. A lot of times their parents are overweight too. They all eat horrible diets.
    Anonymous

• No I am not overweight and neither is my child. That being said just because someone has an overweight child does not make them a bad parent and doesn't mean they did something wrong. Maybe that child is about to go through a big growth spurt. Maybe the child has a health condition. Maybe the parent is overweight because of the same health condition. You never know why when poking your nose into other peoples business and should really consider minding your own.
    Anonymous

• Some children are overweight because their parents do not give them healthy food or have them exercise. Other children are overweight because they have health issues that cause them to gain weight and this is beyond their control, like diabetes for example. Do not assume that every obese child is obese because their parents have "gone wrong in parenting".

For example, it could be questioned where parents went wrong in raising someone who makes generalizations and assumptions, could it not? No disrespect intended, of course!

For the record no one in my family is even close to obesity.
    Anonymous

• I am over weight and i eat healthy! Im not lazy either! Most people would say they dont think i am over weight but i am by A LOT! even my dr cant fig out what is wrong other than i have a really slow matab! I was even prescribed a pill that is to help people loose weight and i only lost 5 pounds! I was under weight until the 8th grade then gained wieght and lost it and gained and lost and now i have gained and cant loose it. So i wouldnt say that its always the parents fault. My daughter is a very healthy eater you give her chicken nuggets and green beans and she wont touch the nuggets til her veggies are gone! I just pray that she doesnt get over weight!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 10:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• MY SON JUST TURNED 6 HE IS 4 FT 2 INCHES AND 100 POUNDS IS HE OVERWEIGHT????
    HE DOESN'T LOOK FAT--HE EATS NORMALLY!!! MOSTLY HEALTHLY AND SOME TREATS. i DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO??
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 10:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Sorry, but I think it makes people feel better to say that overweight kids could have a health problem. Yes, some as in an incredibly small percentage. It's a pretty simple equation on how you get to be overweight,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i am not a fat girl, but i am over my suggested weight. for me the problem is not that i dont eat healthy..its that other than breakfast i dont eat at all during the day minus coffee and water, then i always cook a big dinner for the hubby getting home tec. when you dont eat all day then at at night..you kill your metabolism. so it is my fault , i just sorta forget during the day lol.

my daughter is 3 years old. top 100 percent for her height, and weight, she has some hips to her for sure...sheis also half puerto rican and you can see that in her body structure, hair, lips, eye color. she took after he daddy A LOT. so im not worried about it. so she'll have a lil hispanic bootie, im sure she'll like it when she's older lol.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:42 AM on Nov. 10, 2009