B*tch of a MIL

My MIL recently told my mom that I "like to make babies but not take care of them". I don't know where she pulled that from because I'm obviously married to her son, and we're having our 3rd baby and are financially stable since he's a soldier. Apparently I also amazingly make babies by myself. After hearing that, I told her not to bother coming to my 2nd daughter's 1st birthday coming up. I don't want that bitch there if that's how she feels about me and how I raise them. Unfortunately before this happened I ordered a buttload of pro XMAS pics of the kids and was planning to send her some. But now I'm so pissed I don't know. I have a ton extra though, I might as well, even though I'm not speaking or planning to ever speak to that woman again. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• Omg, I would be SOOOOOOOOOOOOO mad if my MIL said that, and she wouldn't be coming to my daughters party either. While it's not fair to take it out on the child, I would let her know that if she'd like to come to future events, she'd better keep her mouth SHUT about my parenting. It makes me mad even thinking about it, lol. As for the pictures, that's up to you. My MIL gets on my nerves a lot too. She makes snide little comments, trying to make it seem like she's joking so that I can't call her on, it but she tries to get to me...which she obviously does. I just posted a pic of my son on Facebook of a time when he was crying and it looked really funny/ He rarely cries, but she comments "bad, bad mommy..does grandma need to come get you so mommy isn't so mean?" I don't know why, but that shit pisses me off, lol! While she'd never take it as far as your MIL did, I feel your pain. My mom would have cussed her out, though, lol.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 7:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• She sounds awful, and stupid foolish.  It will be extremely difficult, but you should continue to include her in your childrens' lives, including birthdays and pictures.  She is their grandmother.  To exclude her would give her more ammunition against you- undeserved though it is. Treat her with respect, even though she seems to me to have forfeited this, but do it anyway, so your children might see how a parent should be treated, so that you prove to yourself that you are the more civilized person, and in the hope that perhaps eventually she'll treat you as she should.  It won't be easy,  but it is better than letting the tension and bad feelings continue to grow and grow- the children will be thes one to suffer most. I am sorry that you are going through this. It really is wrong of her.

Answer by Bmat at 7:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• she wouldnt say it if it was not true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BE A BETTER MOM
    Anonymous

• too bad you can't have a nice relationship with your MIL.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• "she wouldnt say it if it was not true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BE A BETTER MOM "

Oh yeah..because people never say anything unless it's true, right? Idiot anon.

StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• wow anonymous! would you happen to be the mother in law. I'm sorry but I have seen way to many mother in laws...or other ppl...pulling crap outta there butt...I mean My mom believes if the kids are playing by themselves im ignoring them...i'm sure your fine...just ignore her
    angeleyes0306

Answer by angeleyes0306 at 7:58 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I'm very sorry that your MIL is saying these things...I feel like you should try to take the high road though. I would try to talk to her about this before the birthday party and see what she has to say. (even though there is absolutly no excuse for saying that) Good Luck. I don't know what I would do if my MIL said anything like that, I'm sure I'd be pretty mad as well!!!
    mereinhart28

Answer by mereinhart28 at 8:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• You don't wanna hear my opinion since I haven't seen or spoken to mine in years. But my son has a lot of wonderful family members in his life, he can do without ONE very toxic person.
    Anonymous

• i love my MIL...she is a wonderful person and i don't see who would'nt love her, shes my best friend...my sis in law hates her and wants nothing to do with her. I guess its just that we are both different. I like hearing my MIL opinion and advice and i dont take it to heart or get offended. I think my sister in law feels like she is being attacked and looked down upon if my MIL says anything to her
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Oh good grief, no matter what the post or how little someone knows about the situation, there will always be an anon to say something rude and uncalled for. This site is making me sad to know what the mothers of the world are actually like sometimes! I mean...such immature people raising children. MIL's...especially really old ones it seems who believe in all these superstitions and wive's tales for some reason...make snide remarks all the time and they are not usually true. Just like when MIL's, mother's and grandmas ALWAYS think a crying baby is hungry. (Bad example, but roll with it). My MIL would say "Oh, I bet she's hungry" every time...even if I'd JUST given her 6-8 ounces. When I didnt' go back and feed her again, she had her little "face". She obviously thought didn't feed her enough (hence, not taking care of her). Was she right? No. Do they say things anyway? Yes.
    Anonymous