Can they take the child away?

I am fostering a little boy. His mom is very unstable and she just moved 2 hours away... will they take him away to be closer to her?

HannahLee87

Asked by HannahLee87 at 8:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Adoption

• I agree with ForeverMom...I was a Foster parent for years, it didn't matter where the parents moved to, they won't move a child out of a nurturing home. It is the parents choice to move further or closer to their children. They actually will use this against the mom because she moved further away.
    IAmFreeToDance

Answer by IAmFreeToDance at 1:43 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Not necessarily. It depends on many things. There are groups on here that I'd ask your question in. You'll get more answers that way. This is a good one. http://www.cafemom.com/group/3104

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I agree with doodlebopfan.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Most likely not because the new county she moved to will have to be willing to take on the costs associated with a foster child. With budgets being so tight that's not a real strong possibilty.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:45 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• The best person to ask would be the child's case worker.
    hollyanne31

Answer by hollyanne31 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i've been trying to contact her all day! she's out of the office
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Most systems try to keep the movement of a child to a minimum. Changing foster homes, changing schools, changing their routine is usually NOT in the best interests of the child. That said, you will need to hear directly from the social worker (have you tried asking for their supervisor and up the chain?) to see what the implications of the mother's move may be for you.
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Sometimes you can get the CW by email easier than phone calls. If you still don't get her, try her supervisor. Just realize that she may have 37 other cases as well, so if there is no emergency to the situation, she may be putting you off until she has some information. You could also try the visitation desk, they may know where the next visit will be set up, or if it is in process of being moved elsewhere. It'll all work out like it's supposed to. Hang tight.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• She was out the office all day... I'd be so crushed if the took him to be closer because him and my daughter are close he's her half brother... (i adopted her)
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 7:12 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I would think the court would look very unfavorably on her moving 2 hours away from her child, and would not be likely to uproot the child again due to this poor decision on the bio mom's part. Just my opinion, though...Good luck!
    ForeverMom05

Answer by ForeverMom05 at 11:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2009