moms with sids babies? sensitive issue

first off all am sorry for you loss, but i want to know when your lil angels died from sids were they in the crib or in a bed? also did you beshare or did the baby sleep in his/her crib? thank you and again am sorry for the loss

piwife

Asked by piwife at 8:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I want to first off tell you that I did not lose a child from sids but I remember when my son was born and once I brought him home, I just KNEW he was going to die of sids.. it was the strangest feeling... It turns out this is new mommy worry my mom calls it, or mommy guilt.. you can never fully protect them although you NEED to !!! My son had colic so bad which actually calmed me down cause he didn't sleep longer than 20 minutes for 6 months so I knew he was ok.. I wonder if that's what you are feeling though... what i felt..I have worried every step of the way for my son!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Everyone I've ever met who has had a baby die of SIDS, their baby was in the crib/bassinette.

I've met a couple people whose babies have suffocated in their bed with them, but that's completely different than SIDS. Is suffocation what you were wondering about??
    Anonymous

• I have never had a baby die from sids either but have read studies on it and here is what I have read about it.

I read in a baby magazine when my son was a newborn that running a fan cuts down on the risk of sids by I think it was like 70 percent. Keeping the air circulating well in the room they are sleeping in.

There have been studies that babies exposed to cigarette smoke have a higher risk too.
    melmel83

Answer by melmel83 at 10:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I haven't had a child die of SIDS but have driven myself crazy doing the research and here is what I got:

Boys are more likely to die from Sids in a 60%-40% ratio boys to girls
    Fans reduce risk
    Baby's near cigarette smoke are at higher risk
    Breastfed babies are at less risk
    Pacifiers at bedtime reduce risk
    Babies on their back when sleeping reduces risk
    Make sure baby's crib is empty beside baby and one thin blanket (no bumpers, stuffed animals, toys, heavy blankets, etc.)

I hope that helps!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 10:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• no sids. one lady was aying that babies who bedshare die from sids and not babies who sleep in their cribs. and sids used to be called crib death
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2009