if I take my daughter to the emergancy room will they be able to do anything for her gas?

She has been screaming for an hour the gas is so bad she can't fart it out, idk what to do. Bicycling doesnt help, gas drops dont help, holding her, feeding her, nothing, she just screams. Im going out of my mind.

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 8:10 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's very common, and it WILL subside, you'll see. An hour is nothing in terms of an infant crying over gas pain. There's nothing they can do or will do. Taking her to the ER will only put her at a risk for catching something contagious, especially at this time of year. Just keep bicycling her legs and bringing her kneed t her chest. If you're worried that it's something other than gas, then take her, but if it's just gas, it;s not harmful. I know it can be hard, though...my son suffers from the same thing and it's hard bc there is really nothing you can do to help them. :(
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 8:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• my baby girl does the same thing and i took her to the doctor...all he told me is that she just has to wait it out and grow out of it. i think the longest my baby screamed for was about hours one day. ...i find what works for HER is holding her face forward (my girl can hold her head up if your baby can't don't really recommend this) holding her like that with one arm in front of her tummy and one under her bottom for good support...and this part gets tiring...but walking around with her so she can look at everything...i think it helps distract her from the pain and having that arm around her tummy puts a little pressure there and the pressure can sometimes help get that gas out. (but if i sit down again she starts screaming all over again)....hope this helps just a little...if u havent already tried it.
    excited2bemommy

Answer by excited2bemommy at 8:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• put her on her tummy and rub her back.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 8:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• two hours*
    excited2bemommy

Answer by excited2bemommy at 8:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My "magic cure" (which almost ALWAYS worked when my two boys were babies) was to get a clean disposable diaper...get your hot water running. Get a measuring cup and fill it up. Pour that hottest water from the faucet you can get into the diaper until the diaper is quite full. And warm. Fasten the tabs around the diaper like you would on the baby. Wrap the diaper in a receiving blanket and then place the blanket wrapped bundle on baby's tummy. Swaddle the baby and the diaper together in another receiving blanket and let the warm soothing action help baby's tummy! It has never not worked for me.
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 8:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Does she like baths? A bath always calms down my daughter.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 8:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• OP here allow me to clarify... she has been screaming for an hour NOW, She screamed for HOURS yesterday, it only happens every couple of days but when it does its BAD.

THANK YOU so much everyone for the advice!!!
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 8:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Also...they have anti gas drops. Some mama's swear by them...others (like me) think they are a waste of money. I used to also get about 2 oz of bottled water and warm it up and then pour that in a baby bottle. Add a drop of peppermint oil and like a 1/2 tsp of sugar. That helped too. If you don't have peppermint oil ( you can get it at a healthfood store usually, though I found mine at a grocery store) you can dissolve one of those red and white candies in the water too. I used to sometimes just swish a candy cane in the water. In any case...as long as it has some peppermint in it, it should help baby too.
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 8:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• To get to the bottom of the situation .... what does baby's diet consist of & how old is baby?? Starting at the beginning is your key to a happy baby.

Anonymous

• We breastfed for the first month, now she is on similac advance earlyshield. She will be 3 months on the 5th of dec. She eats 4 ounces every 3 or 4 hours. She ONLY cries from gas and when she is hungry and I'm taking too long, shes a very quiet peaceful baby. I'm a stay at home mom at the moment, I'm very attentive, I'm trying to comfort her as much as I can.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 9:09 PM on Nov. 9, 2009