what do you all think?

my son has been running a fever for a couple days by now but today was the first day I actually took it. It was 101.6 but when i gave him tylenol it went down to normal. but through out the day he has been irritable, and tired. now his temp is 102.2 and this is with motrin in him. He is due for tylenol at 9.

His temp is taken rectally

should I wake him in the middle of the night to keep giving him tylonel/motrin or should i just let him sleep till morning?

Do you think it will be ok to wait to go to the doc in the morning?? he doesn't have anyother symptoms....just the fever, crankiness, and tiredness? He is drinking good and has been eating some.

8firsttimemom8

Asked by 8firsttimemom8 at 8:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he's a toddler with a fever, he's probably gonna wake by himself during the night and you can give the med then. I would also wait and call the doc in the morning...he may have an ear infection or something but the tylenol or motrin should hold him til then, especially since he's been drinking well.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I think I'd take him to an urgent care clinic, but then I am a worrier. That the fever has lasted so long and is going up now even with meds that should pull it down, would worry me. Do you have a 24 hour call a nurse service with your health insurance? or could you call the doctor's on call line and ask?

Answer by Bmat at 8:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My thermometer package shows a normal rectal temp to be 100.4 and I was also told this by a doctor. Low grade fevers are not bad for a child, it is building up their immune systerm and making them stronger. If your little one has no other symptoms and the tylenol/motrin is lowering the fever, they doctors won't be able to do much. make sure he stays hydrated and gets food but mainly the staying hydrated is the most important
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Leave him sleep and skip the doctor. If he has nothing else going on, you'd just be exposing him to all kinds of other stuff that he could pick up. If you're worried, call and ask, but don't just take him in.
    Anonymous

• I don't know how old he is but it could just be from teething. I'd wait to see how he's feeling tomorrow and as long as you keep him hydrated he should be okay.
    Familygal81

Answer by Familygal81 at 12:48 AM on Nov. 10, 2009