Do your kids ever have worries?

what are they? My son is worried about murderers is this normal for a 7 yr old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Children are exposed to so much violence these days. News shows talk of murders, for example,and they hear about violence when they are in school.

My children worried about flooding. I told them we are on top of a hill and couldn't be flooded. I remembered when I was little that I was scared of the house burning down. My dad told me that our house being brick meant that there was nothing to burn so we were safe. I realized years later that he was lying so that I wouldn't worry, and it worked, I never worried about the house burning down after he told me that, and I never resented that he'd lied, since I understood the reason. I think that if my children had told me they were afraid of the house burning, I would have said that we were careful to avoid that- careful about candles, no smoking, and so forth.

Answer by Bmat at 8:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• It's pretty normal. He probably saw or heard something somewhere about murderers, and then it stuck in his mind. I would just do the best you can to reassure him that he doesn't need to worry about it, and that you will protect him from things like that.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• my 15 yr old is starting.... worried about getting into college, worried about making the h.s. soccer team, worried boys only like her for her D boobies and not her mind, worried about her friends who are starting to experiment with drinking.

my 13 yr old is starting.... worried he isnt good enough to play competitive sports in h.s., worried that he wont every get a facebook account (LOL)... that is it

my 8 yr old.... she has no cares in the world... oh but at the moment she is worried I wont get dinner on the table before she faints of hunger... bye.
    Anonymous

• My 8 year old is scared I am going to die of something. My mother died when she was 37 of colon cancer. I am 35--the same age she was when she started to get sick. If I go to the store or something and take a little longer, she gets paranoid. She's also afraid her brother and sister are going to run outside and get kidnapped or hit by a car so she has to lock the screen doors.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• The key is how you handle it. Statistically you are more likely to be hurt by someone you know and trust, not by a stranger. If this were my son I would say there are lots of good people out there and sometimes even good people make bad choices. It is my job to make sure you are safe and it is very unlikely any stranger will come and harm you or our family.   I would also talk to him about reducing our chance to being hurt: don't go off with strangers, having a family code word, and talking about knowing where he is so you know he is safe.  I wouldn't make it a heavy conversation but certainly something to review from time to time.  My son has some worries.  The usual.  Spooky stuff like ghosts and monsters.  I could kill my FIL for telling him if he swims in the ocean a shark will eat him.  He worries about it if we are at the beach.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• you could look up the murder rates for your town. smaller towns generally have a lower murder rate. I wouldn't show him it if it is high but it may make him feel better to know that it doesn't happen very often depending where you live.

jen699

Answer by jen699 at 9:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My son sometimes worries about things- some he picks up from the media, others he has picked up from school, or from seemingly innocent comments that he has overheard others make. Lately he worries about germs a lot. I think it's because with H1N1 the school has really been stressing handwashing so you don't get sick, plus he picks up things from the media (we seldom watch television news but I sometimes put the radio on to hear the weather and now that he is seven he can read newspaper headlines while we wait in line at the grocery store.) I just try to keep him grounded in reality as much as I can... yes, some people die of H1N1 but almost everyone just feels crummy for a week and then gets better, it's very rare to die. Or, in your case, yes sometimes murders do take place, but that is very very rare and the only reason it makes the news is BECAUSE it's so rare.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• when my niece was 6 or 7 she had dreams about her mom being killed and it was a constant worry. she worries naturally and has always been this way and since her mom works 2 jobs and goes to school while her grandma watches her, I think that happens when she misses her.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• It depends on how worried he is. If it is a constant thing and overpowering other aspects of his life then NO it is not normal. I started getting panic attacks at 7 years old and my parents did nothing because they just hoped it wasn't that serious. It went on until I was 15 and started really having problems before they took me to see a counselor. One of the reasons I didn't go straight to college after HS was because I did so poorly due to my depression and anxiety that very well could have been prevented had it not been dragged on for 8 years. If you really think you're son is having anxiety/panic attacks over it, please please please have him seen.
    Anonymous

• I remember having anxiety at that age. My anxiety continued of and on through the years, as a teen I turned to alcohol to ease it and relax me. I remember being afraid of a tonado taking our house, or hurting my family, I remember hearing on the news about a lady that abused her adopted son so bad that he died, and I screamed. Life is frightening to kids.
    In HS i withdrew because of anxiety and depression, my grades went down i kept drinking. My life went nowhere.
    Im glad you are questioning things with your son, you are a good mom. I wish my parents had seen what i was going through before it was too late.
    My 6 yr old is beginning to have some anxiety too and im in the process of taking her to therapy. I hope it helps.
    Anonymous