How do you unspoil a baby? He screams when you lay him down but falls asleep as soon as you pick him up. What would you do?

He is 1 1/2 motnhs old and I have a 1 year old as well.

luvinmyboys03

Asked by luvinmyboys03 at 5:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let him cry it out for a few nights so that he gets used to the idea of falling asleep in his bed.
    Anonymous

• I know alot of moms have huge issues with this but ...let him cry it out for a few nites.. maybe if u cant stand not running to him then maybe try just rubbing his back while he stays in the crib or go in and sing or what ever u notice thats comforting to him(besides the picking him up)
    Sunnysidemama

Answer by Sunnysidemama at 5:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• A child who is one and a half simply can't be spoiled. Children that young are incapable of that. If your child is that young and screaming then it's for a reason. He is probably comforted by your touch, which is actually a great thing, so just spend time with him and don't worry so much about how he wants to be held to fall asleep. And although I'm against cry-it-out, if that is a choice that you want to make it is NOT recommended AT ALL for a child that young. It's not suggested until six months of age.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 5:57 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• EDIT: that should have said "who is one and a half MONTHS old"
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 5:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I always let me daughter cry it out. Which some may think is mean, but I would let her cry for 5 min at first then the next time a little longer and then the next time longer and so forth, until she realized I just wasnt coming in (about the 4th or 5th time). The only way I would go in is if she was crying for more than 30min
    starglo

Answer by starglo at 6:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• IMO a baby cant be spoiled at 1 1/2 months, if he's crying there is a reason for it. He's way to young to be manipulative at this age. Just hold him.
    Carolbrady100

Answer by Carolbrady100 at 6:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• You should definately let him cry it out.. I know it's hard and so much easier to just pick him up, but every time you do that, it will just take longer for him to stop the next time. My son cried for what seemed like the first 4 months of his life he had colic. The Dr told me when you know he isn't hungry and the diaper is dry and every thing,to let him cry it out was ok but not to go in there every 5 minutes,because that upsets them even more. But as long as they don't cry for an hour straight they told me was normal...did'nt seem like tho...now my son is 2 and a half so you will get past this.
    iamcrystal26

Answer by iamcrystal26 at 6:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I agree that a baby who is 1 1/2 months old can't be spoiled. Some babies have a temperament that is high-needs. I recommend the book "The Fussy Baby Book, Parenting the High Needs Child from Birth to Age Five" by Dr. Sears.. It helped me with my first!
    faeriemamma

Answer by faeriemamma at 6:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• want to add that reflux can cause a baby to be in pain when laying down flat.
    faeriemamma

Answer by faeriemamma at 6:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• wrap your pillow in a T-shirt you have worn...snuggle it to your baby...they think its you. When bubs is asleep...remove pillow slowly.
    Babies cant be spoiled at this age, they just want their mummy..they only know you, your feel and sound.
    turtle68

Answer by turtle68 at 6:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2008