How much should a live in nanny with her own toddler get paid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• I was looking for a live in nanny and considering one with a child...I was offering 200 a week, plus room and board. Even though she had a child, she would still be caring for mine, and doing the light housework as well. I just saw the toddler as another playmate for my daughter. but 200 was my rate no matter who I hired
    december911

Answer by december911 at 8:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• you have to consider you are paying the rent and utilities for this person...what all are you providing exactly? I would'nt pay much. Maybe 200.00 a week at the most
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• It should be enough so she can pay her expenses, plus put some into savings. What about health care? and social security? If you are covering these, then $200 would be close. She'd have to cover clothing for herself and child, transportation, entertainment. If she is expected to be on the job around the clock,this should be taken into consideration. If she has a nice little living area with her own bedroom, sitting room, bathroom, this would be nice and would seem to compensate for lower pay.

Answer by Bmat at 9:04 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• You need to pay at least minimum wage. I used to make $2000 a month. Living with a family as a nanny is not free rent and a babysitter. Parents end up expecting you to do everything for their kids even when they are home. Its often a 24/7 job.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the previous anonymous poster. Being a live-in nanny is often more demanding than a live-out nanny. I was living in for a year, going to school full time, and very stressed making less than 200 a month. I paid for my own healthcare, no insurance, paid for my own transportation, and got no other benefits. If you look at nanny organizations' websites, you'll find that it is expected of a nanny to be provided with some sort of insurance, transportation, and paid time off or vacation time. Also, if she's helping out more often than just during your work hours, you need to figure that in as well. It's rotten to work overtime and never be compensated for it. You need to establish clear guidelines on rate of pay, rules/expectations, and when she can expect to have space away from her charge(s). Best of luck, I hope it works out well for the both of you.
    Anonymous

• **edit** on last long anon post. I was making less than 200 a week**
    Anonymous

• We looked at getting a nanny however we would never have considered one with her own child! But a live in nanny around here runs between $350 and $500 a month. I would assume one with a child would make less since you are going to have to be paying hire utilities and food costs to support them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:22 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i would only pay her a certain amount and she's gotta get her kid a babysitter away from the house.
    babygirl581

Answer by babygirl581 at 12:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2009