Do you believe he acted alone?

WASHINGTON – The Army psychiatrist accused of the Fort Hood massacre apparently acted alone and without outside direction in the attack, investigative officials said Monday evening. Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan will be charged by the U.S. military rather than in a civilian court, they said.

Although investigative officials portrayed Hasan as a lone wolf, the investigators and a U.S. official disclosed that Hasan communicated 10 to 20 times with a radical imam overseas who in the past came under scrutiny for possible links to terror groups. The investigative officials said the communications began last year and continued into this year and "were consistent with the subject matter of his research," apparently on the effects of U.S. combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. The U.S. official said the communications were with the radical imam, Anwar al-Awlaki.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Why yes I do. I don't disagree that he was reaching out to Al Queda, he felt that he was on the fringe and didn't identify with the people he was with. I believe that Al Queda is exploiting the fact that he contacted them. But this was the behavior of a delusional lonely psychotic man that just coincidentally (to the benefit of Al Queda because now they can say: SEE!! America hates you, fellow Muslims) was a Muslim.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 8:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• U.S. officials were aware of the communications since last year, but no formal investigation was ever opened based on them, the officials said. They said that FBI Director Robert Mueller has ordered an internal review of the bureau's handling of the Hasan information.

The officials spoke Monday evening on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the investigation on the record. Awlaki, who was released from a jail in Yemen last year, writes a blog that denounces U.S. policies as anti-Muslim. Investigators tried to interview Hasan on Sunday at the military hospital where he is held under guard, but he refused to answer and requested a lawyer, the officials said.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• The U.S. official said the communications were with the radical imam, Anwar al-Awlaki.

Isn't this the same guy who praised Hasa for his killing spree? Did Hasan see Anwar al-Awlaki as an inspiration?My opinion~Serious flaws in communication between the FBI and military. To be going on for a year? People apparently being too politically correct to make a formal statement? The FBI knowing about certain Internet activity. The warning signs. Its sad this coward was given a free pass on more than one occasion. It is still being said he said'Allahu Akbar' as he killed 13. Some shot 4 times. Were Anwar al-Awlaki words any sort of inspiration for him?  There are different definition of terrorism being thrown out.  If he isn't a terrorist he DEFINELTY terrorized more than 50 people last week. So, I guess he is just a lone acting man caused disaster, huh?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:10 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Yep.
    I'm pissed that the govy did not get it done! People should definitely get fired.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• There are different definition of terrorism being thrown out. If he isn't a terrorist he DEFINELTY terrorized more than 50 people last week. So, I guess he is just a lone acting man caused disaster, huh?

Your trying to play on words to fit a certain situation. I will wait for the investigation and the facts before calling it a terror anything. Any murder promotes terror to the victims and their families,,,doesn't make it a terrorist act. That has yet to be ascertained

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Hey, I was changing my opinion. I thought you would be happy. There is just no pleasing you, is there? tsk tsk... From now on I will refer to him as: the suspected lone-acting man coward caused disaster who terrorized a military base and killed 13.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Now see sweet...I thought we were AGREEING on something.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• They should have been watching him more carefully. They admit they saw signs but didn't do anything about his behavior. He was not sane,actually, if he went nuts and shot so many people. But then, the boys in Colorado (Columbine) in 1998 were not sane either and nobody--their parents--did anything about them either so they were able to bring giuns to school and shoot their fellow students. The world is going crazy..
    Anonymous

• That very imman was here at a mosque in VA that Hasan attended when he worked at Walter Reed, that same Imman was there when two the 9/11 hijackers attended that mosque. He is a US citizen and moved overseas in 2002. However I believe Hasan acted alone and he was expecting to die during the rampage, well I bet he is just mad as hell he didn't meet his fate and his 32 Virgins or whatever they believe.

I do believe he was thinking he was a terrorist but I think he was over the edge and didn't see anyother way to get out or die than to do this kind of act. He is a coward and stupid. No Major gets harrassed...sorry bucko.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 7:44 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

Just because they were crazy does not mean they were not sane. Insanity is a legal term not a medical one.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:58 AM on Nov. 10, 2009