do kids really ever NEED braces on their baby teeth?

chowmom199

Asked by chowmom199 at 8:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd say yes, to hold the place for the permanent teeth to come in, for example, so the permanent teeth can come in straight.

Answer by Bmat at 8:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Our orthodontist told us to have our boys checked at around age 8 to see how their teeth are coming in. Our 13 yr old just started with orthodontic treatment this past August and will be finished by next November. I think it depends on how severe the problem is. I will be taking our 2 younger ones soon to be checked.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Also our 13 yr old still has 4 baby teeth and yes there are braces on them.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Braces are put into two categories... "Functional" which is where no braces means the teeth will wear on each other in ways that will cause problems, like frequent cavaties. It also means that there is a chance that they will rot out, just because they can't be brushed properly. That's why I got braces.

There's also "cosmetic" braces... which is where there's no real problems with the teeth, they just aren't perfect. in which case, it's really up to the kid and the parent.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• According to our dentist, no. He said braces on baby teeth can actually cause more damage to the adult teeth because they hold the baby teeth in and don't allow the adult teeth to push the baby teeth out.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 11:04 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Our orthodontist told us that he doesn't do braces until they have lost all of their baby teeth. I just had braces myself (finally removed after 2 years). I was very concerned about my childrens crowded baby teeth, so I had him look at them.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:10 PM on Nov. 9, 2009