huntin

were going huntin this season and want to take our son who is 4 . Any one have good suggestions or tips of any kind? I know my mom thinks its a bad idea. I dont understand why though =\ whats your opion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I wouldn't because it is early in the morning, there is a lot of sitting still and being quite (both difficult for my 4 year old) I think he wold be bored and be tired soon. And I would ensure that he was covered in Hunter Orange head to toe. I would be scared of anything close to ancient. I think they are rare compared to how many people hunt, but that would be my fear.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• my kids go scouting all the time with my dad. he would never take them with him while he has a gun though. They are 4 and 5 at that age there behavior is still a little unpredictable and he doesn't want to take the risk of them getting accidentally shot by him or another hunter. They love to go scouting though. they are learning to appreciate they environment getting to see different types of animals and getting to spend quality time with grandpa. I won't let mine go until they are about 9 or 10 that's when he started letting me go with him and even then it was only in places were he had permission from land owners so there was a limited amount of hunters in the area.

jen699

Answer by jen699 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I would never take a child that young. My kids will not be allowed to go til they're old enough to take a hunter safety course - and pass it. Then they'll only be allowed out during youth season. There are reasons for the "laws" they have. I agree fully with your mom. Either take turns going, or leave your son with your mom. But please don't take him out huntinG this young. You'll regret it.
    Anonymous

• wow....... i cant believe someone would give a child, 4 yr old a loaded gun, ever! that idea is completely not smart. but that is darwinism i guess...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Maybe they can go first with a camera (take pictures instead of shooting) to see if they can handle sitting still and silent while waiting. Also, I would go for an evening hunt instead of morning and bring ear protection (ear plugs ect).

AmaliaD: You don't have to be the one with a loaded gun to go hunting, I started hunting at a young age (6 or 7) and just sat with my Dad while he handled the guns. I helped him spot the animals.
    rewoif

Answer by rewoif at 2:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i think it depends on the child...my 4 year old goes hunting with his dad and grandpa all the time...they carey the gun and are not likly going to shoot it....my son looks forward to it is up at 4am and back by 12 and loves it so i think you know what your son is capable of
    MaMaDukeS321

Answer by MaMaDukeS321 at 1:11 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• we take our 5 and 3 year old on the 4 wheeler for the evening hunts and have them look for deer, or whatever we are hunting. They stay pretty quiet too. They love going hunting. They were raised in it.
    rbade

Answer by rbade at 8:12 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• And we don't let them touch the guns either!
    rbade

Answer by rbade at 8:13 PM on Nov. 15, 2009