Trying to wean an 18 month old from Binkie.....HELP!!!!

My daughter will be 18 months old on the 18th of this month. I have gotten her down to only needing it for when she is falling asleep, other than that she doesn't need it. She will literally suck on it until she falls asleep and then spit it out. She will not use it again until she is going to sleep. The only problem now is I have a feeling she doesn't fully comprehend me when I tell her she is ok with out it or if I were to use the SuperNanny suggestion I feel as though she would not comprehen the situation. Anyone have this problem?

New-mom-3-2008

Asked by New-mom-3-2008 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have only had one child use the pacifier. He sucked 24 hours a day!! It was a life saver (or a nipple saver - lol!). Anyway, we made him get his pacifier for bedtime. As he lost them, we did not replace them. He finally "lost" his last one. We knew where it was, but he couldn't find it. We just told him he lost it and would have to sleep without it. We had 2 really rough nights with lots of crying until he fell asleep. Then we had a couple more nights of a little crying and whining. But that was it!!! Good luck!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• You've done a great job by getting her down to using it just to sleep. Now all that's left is taking the bedtime paci. That is way better than just taking it cold turkey (which is what I did to my first at 18 months and it was a 2 week long nightmare). With my second, I took the pacifier from him when he was 13 months, only letting him have it at naps or bedtime. At 16 months I took it completely. It wasn't fun for 2 nights, but then we were done. Two things that helped a ton: 1) I put a sippy cup of water in the crib with him and 2) I gave him 2 teething tablet when I put him down.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• If the pacifier is like her security blanket, you may want to think of replacing it with a special stuffed animal or toy. I nannied a boy who cut the binky cold turkey and had a plush Buzz Lightyear he carried around with him and slept with when he felt he needed comfort. It worked great. Best of luck :)
    Callien

Answer by Callien at 9:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• She has 2 stuffed animals, a bear and a elaphant, and then her binky. I give her some teething tablets too and she still stays awake. She is down to 1 bink now after this one no more binks. She will not go to sleep, she without a doubt is not settling at all for going to sleep without the bink. I just don't know how to get her over the screaming for hours. She will not go to sleep.
    New-mom-3-2008

Answer by New-mom-3-2008 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• hm i have to say my daughter used hers till she was like 2 but just for to go to sleep.... it was very hard to get her off of it... but finally we did it
    frangiemily

Answer by frangiemily at 10:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Well there's always the binky fairy. Tell your daughter a new baby needs the binky and that if she gives it up the binky fairy will bring her something very special. And make it fun for her to give it up, like attach it to a balloon and let it go, or drop it in a mailbox.
    Familygal81

Answer by Familygal81 at 12:45 AM on Nov. 10, 2009