What should his punishment be?

WICHITA, Kan. – Defiant and unapologetic, a man accused of shooting a Kansas abortion provider confessed to the slaying Monday, telling The Associated Press that he killed the doctor to protect unborn children.

Scott Roeder, 51, of Kansas City, Mo., spoke to the AP in a telephone call from jail, saying he plans to argue at his trial that he was justified in shooting Dr. George Tiller at the abortion provider's Wichita church in May.

"Because of the fact preborn children's lives were in imminent danger this was the action I chose. ... I want to make sure that the focus is, of course, obviously on the preborn children and the necessity to defend them," Roeder said.

"Defending innocent life — that is what prompted me. It is pretty simple," he said.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:10 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "No, I don't have any regrets because I have been told so far at least four women have changed their minds, that I know of, and have chosen to have the baby," Roeder said. "So even if one changed her mind it would be worth it. No, I don't have any regrets."

His confession came on the same day several strident abortion opponents released their "Defensive Action Statement 3rd Edition" that proclaims any force that can be used to defend the life of a "born child is legitimate to defend the life of an unborn child." The statement's 21 signers demand Roeder's jurors be allowed to consider the "question of when life begins" in deciding whether lethal force was justified.

Among the signers are Eric Rudolph, James Kopp and Shelley Shannon — all serving prison time for targeting abortion doctors.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• 25 to life. That is what he will get and he will probably get the chance for parole in 35 years.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 9:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I agree. 25 to life.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• doing the WRONG thing for the right reason is still WRONG from the get go.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• LOL sweet...was it you in the other question that said they aren't really crazy if they admit it. THIS guy still thinks what he did was right and makes sense.....CRAZY! If he really believes what he did was right then he should be ready to handle the consequences....

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• 25 to life? Sure.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• LOL sweet...was it you in the other question that said they aren't really crazy if they admit it. THIS guy still thinks what he did was right and makes sense.....CRAZY! If he really believes what he did was right then he should be ready to handle the consequences....

Cute, but not what I meant
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• momof030404, It only means what she wants it to mean when she says it. silly girl!

shh

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• To rabid pro-lifers, the life of the unborn is far more important than the life of someone who has been born. Once a person is born, they are expendable in the fight to save the unborn. Makes sense to me--NOT!

Anonymous

• Whether or not abortion is wrong or justifiable, the fact is that this man took another man's life. He claims to want to protect life, yet he chose to extinguish one. It seems pretty hypocritical to me.
    trebelcleff

Answer by trebelcleff at 9:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2009