My son keeps hitting himself in the head

He will be 1 tomorrow. At first he would be asleep at night and gets up on his hands and knees and ram his head into the wall until I stopped him, but now he walks around the house hitting himself with whatever toy he happens to be carrying around. He never cries from it, but it sounds like it hurts. Also when we are holding him he tries to headbutt us. Has anyone else experienced this?

shannonre

Asked by shannonre at 9:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well the sound is what he thinks is cool, my son did this around this age too and it lasted maybe 2 months and then he'd start to hit himself when he was mad around 15 months, I never paid attention to it or said a word when he did it and it came and went pretty fast,.. as long as he's not crying or hurting himself, I would just assume its cause it makes a cool new sound, he'll stop if it really hurts
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Ok, this makes me laugh because my son hits himself in the head and bangs it on the floor and I can picture yours doing it too. It could be the new feeling like the post before mine, or it could be because he doesn't know how to get out his frustration with something... he can't explain to you his point or what he wants. I would try to stop him and get down on his level and explain that it hurts when you hit yourself and other people. I would also explain this to your pediatrician because it could be signs of something serious if it's taking place in certain situations. I'd write down every time he does it and be specific so your ped knows exactly how much this is happening. Good luck!
    LaurenMichele

Answer by LaurenMichele at 10:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My son is 13 months old and also does this. He bangs his head pretty hard on his crib and also hits himself. I don't know what it's from either. I think it's just a stage they go through. Hopefully it will pass soon.
    Familygal81

Answer by Familygal81 at 12:41 AM on Nov. 10, 2009