What would you do if your pantry was this small?

What do you do when you only have a 2 to 3 foot width of a pantry?
I mean once you pass the door I have all this space but it looks congested, I sometimes forget what I have in the pantry. So instead of digging way back in there I buy what I need, I know I need to bring everything up to the front as I go but I don't. Even though I try to be organized it somehow looks messy somewhat...
But the main thing of all this is the size of my pantry atleast the entrance of it...aarrgg...I can't expand it so what do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Get one of those can racks that rolls the next can in the stack to the front everytime you take one out to automatically rotate your canned goods. Use baskets to store dry goods like bags of noodles so you can just pull a basket off the shelf & root through it when you want something (you can label the baskets, too). Use a smaller basket to hold envelopes for sauces & gravies, etc. Install rolling basket shelves for cabinets in the pantry to make getting to the back easier - use these for boxed goods or oversized things. Use clear plastic storage containers for flour, sugar, coffee, tea bags, beans or other dry goods to make them more readily visible & to keep them fresher. Add shelves to your shelves to make "steps" to create height for items in the back rows so you can see them over the things in the front rows.

That's all I can think of for now.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Organizing it according to type of food, and rotating the oldest stuff forward. Take everything out and clean the shelves. Then put all of the fruit in one area, all the soups in one, all of the beans in one, the other vegetables in another, the dry goods in one, the non-foods on one. Check the dates of everything before you put them back in. If there is expired stuff, and it is still good, then leave it out so you can use it up first, or throw out bad expired stuff. If there is no date on it, then leave it out, too, so you can use it up. As you buy new stuff, check the date, and if there is none, mark one on there yourself. Put the newest stuff in the back. Once you train yourself to keep things in their right location and to rotate, it will come naturally. You could tape a list to the pantry door, but I know I would never keep up with a list.

Answer by Bmat at 9:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Well, at least you have a pantry, I have a couple of cupboards in the kitchen and some storage shelves in the office downstairs. Take a day, organize it, toss the expired stuff, make menu plans using what you have, make a checklist of what you have in there so you know next time you shop whether or not you need somethin...
    Anonymous

• all those ideas were great! something else we do at our hous is lay the boxes of cake mixes or hamburger helper stuff on their side and stack them on top of eachother. this way you can easily read teh tops of the boxes and see what you have. if they stand up one in front of the other you cant see anything but the first one...so stack them so you just see the tops facing you! Also some stores have racks to hang on the door and you cna put cans or spices in it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:14 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I dont have cabineets or a pantry so be happy with what you got geeze
    Go buy a shelf or something
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Nov. 11, 2009