Would you just stop doing the grocery shopping all together?

My dh bought groceries the other day about $130.00 I forgot he spent that much then the following week I went and got groceries and spent $114.00. Well he got upset with me saying why did I spend so much I am like see this is why I don't go and get the groceries bc you always freak out on how much I spend. It's not like I spent it all on myself. I think he is just mad bc we are trying to save and can't he don't understand that. But I don't appreciate him getting upset just bc I spend the money too...we need what we need. It is an never ending thing with him. Then he gets mad bc I am not cooking well shit stop nagging and there will be food on the table. He sometimes makes me feel like I am not suppose to spend well atleast that is how he makes me feel. He is very generous with the family but he just don't know how to save.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• Sounds controlling to me. Start using coupons and shopping sales. It'll help. Do you stay at home? If so you might not realize how little money is coming in or what costs have popped up. I know that happened to me. Once I saw I started cutting back.
    Anonymous

• Sit down once a week - maybe sunday after the paper arrives, so you can cut coupons.

Plan the week's menu out TOGETHER, make the grocery list TOGETHER, and post the list.

Then no matter who goes to the market the food has been agreed upon.

If there is something in your marraige that is a constant battle FIND A SOLUTION. Dont get mad, dont get even.... find a compromise that works for both of you.
    Anonymous

• Maybe use the envelope system? Where you get "x" amount of money for groceries maybe per week, or per month- whatever works best for you. Then when the money is gone it's gone and there's nothing left to fight about.

If you did that with the rest of your budget you'd be able to control where your money is going and hopefully there would be some left over to put in savings.

Check out the Dave Ramsey group on Cafemom for more helpful tips on money management.
    GOOD LUCK :)
    Anonymous

• You need to take a giant step backwards. First, you need to plan meals and snacks for the week, then you make a list based on what you need to buy to complete your meal plan.

Here are my best tips for saving at the grocery store: http://www.ehow.com/how_5223945_save-even-money-grocery-store.html

Send me a message offlist if you would like some budget recipes...

Answer by rkoloms at 7:44 AM on Nov. 10, 2009