My 6 yo daughter has underarm hair. Is this normal???

MaeI

Asked by MaeI at 10:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I got mine that early and started my period that early as well. Keep an eye on her. I was told back then that it wasn;t normal but of course I don't know if it is.
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 10:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Yikes! It's generally NOT. It's really a bit early (most girls start like 9-16 or something I think) so it's probably best to talk to her doctor.
    Anonymous

• Caleb had man hairs on his genitals when he was a newborn. That gave his pediatrician pause. lol
    I agree with the other two ladies to keep an eye on her and to have an appt made with her pediatrician.
    kansasbloom

Answer by kansasbloom at 11:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Wow my 6 yr. old has body odor if we don't use deodorant but hair hmmm I would ask the doctor.
    Anonymous

• She needs to be seen. They can stop her from developing too early and there are some diseases that have that as a noticeable sign. SEE THE DOCTOR
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• http://www.fathermag.com/health/puberty/pathology/pcos/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• It can happen, but I would talk to her pediatrician and have her go in for a physical.  It could be she's fine and starting puberty early (many girls can range from age 9 and up), or it could be something else.

The only case I've heard of it happening that early was my cousin who had endured brain trauma after living through a really bad car accident when she was 3 years old. She started her period and had breast larger than mine by age 6, it was sad and she did have to take medication.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 2:42 AM on Nov. 10, 2009