I just found out my daughter has a heart murmur...anyone else's child have this?

SO my daughter just went for her 18 month check up today and the dr told me she has a heart murmur. Ihave to take her for an echocardiogram to make sure it is nothing. I am worried because this is the first time he has heard it. has anyone elses child had this? Just looking for some comfort. I dont think i am going to sleep good until i know its nothing major. I feel so heart broken, here i thought my little girl was perfect, and she isnt...well she is in my eyes still, but...I just really hope and pray that is nothing. It was so sweet i was crying putting her to bed and she reached her little hand up and wiped away one of my tears! I cant imagine my life for one second without her in it. any comforting words?

babymaddy

Asked by babymaddy at 10:06 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• The echocardiogram is a painless procedure. Babies are born with small holes in their heart that heal on their own. People live with murmers all the time. Please don't worry. If your baby has gained wieght well, and is active he is probably fine. Hey good luck!!!!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 10:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My son did and he out grew it
    Anonymous

• My sister was born with a slight heart murmur. I also have one, don't worry Momma she will be fine. We didn't need meds for it and we have been healthy all of our lives...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I did and outgrew it and a guy I work with just found out when their son was 2 that he had one. Its very minor and he will more than likely outgrow it and it won't be an issue for him and they don't have to make sure he stays less active or anything, its Just a minor murmer.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• A lot of little kids/babies have them, and they go away on their own. It's the ones that have heart issues in the bloodline that need to be worried about - so if there are no heart problems on yours or your dd's daddy's side of the family, don't worry. Echos are really easy too, all 4 of my kids have had them, the youngest was about 18 months too when he had his. Just like an ultrasound, but on the chest. I've had multiple ones too, but it's different for an adult - no big deal, just take a while!
    Anonymous

• I had a heart murmer from the time I was born up until I was about 5, I outgrew it. My daughter also had one when she was about 6 months old. They did an echocardiogram and she was fine, like a previous poster said, babies are born with a small hole in their heart that eventually closes on its own. My daughter will be 2 in december, and no longer has the murmer. She will be fine mommy.<3
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 11:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My brother had a heart murmur for awhile. He out grew it. He is now very active and healthy and serving in the Army.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 11:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• It's pretty common. I had one growing up. It never caused me any problems and I outgrew it by the time I was 10. My oldest had a slight one after she was born and my 7yo was tested for one last year but was okay.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• My daughter went in for surgery at 3. they said she had one we went and got the testing done and it was nothing really.she grew out of it. Dont worry so much your baby will b fine.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 12:18 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I had one and I out grew it, played sports all my life, played college ice hockey, never had any problems. I'm sure your DD will be fine too.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:39 AM on Nov. 10, 2009