breastfeeding help!

I tried before, but it didn't work out. I am trying again and would like to have as much info as possible...

heather.darin

Asked by heather.darin at 10:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 10:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• talk to the laction nurse, they can help a ton! I would say just make sure the baby is latched properly and that you are feed ing as often as you should, if you need to pump in between do so, that helps! Good luck im in your shoes too!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 10:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Always have faith in yourself. Never doubt yourself as to whether your baby is getting enough. Don't compare yourself as far as "scheduled feedings" go...your baby will eat when he/she is hungry, and stop when he/she is full. It's ok to let them "snack" if that's all they want to do. It's a very special bonding time that your baby loves....so be patient, and give him/her the time they need. Never let someone else make you feel bad, or out of place...or anything like that. It's completely normal, and healthy to do any where, anytime. Just be curtious of others and use a wrap, or blanket to cover yourself so you don't offend. God made all mammals able to nurse for a reason...so keep that in mind. If for some reason you're really not sure about having enough milk supply...remember that if you're baby wants it...they'll get it. Just because you only pump an ounce or two doesn't mean your baby isn't getting enough. They are.
    Anonymous

• I breastfed with my first and had to stop cause I got an infection inside my breast and it was bloody milk. I wasn't sure what to do and since back then I didn't have cafemom I had nobody to turn to,so I quit. This little town doesn't have lactation consultants:( I hear that it happening again is not likely but if it does what is it exactly? any advice is good:) I will go as long as medically possible for my baby since now I know where to get help
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 10:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I think the best peice of advice I can give you for breastfeeding is to make sure the baby is latched on properly. Try to get as much of your nipple in the baby's mouth as you can when he or she tries to latch on. If baby has a good hold on you, there will be a rythmic noise to the feeding. I experienced some pain about the first week to ten days-- some pain early on is not an indication you are breastfeeding wrong.

Have faith in yourself! Your body was made to do this! Good for you--breastfeeding is so good for your baby. Congrats!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 11:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Get the book "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" - there's a lot of good info in there. Use what helps, discard the stuff you're not interested in, and go from there. Also, La Leche League is a good resource - and keep in mind, if you talk to a La Leche League Leader who doesn't help you, or who doesn't seem to "click" with you, they're just like anything else - some are better than others - so talk to another one, because that group can be a big resource for nursing moms.

Also, as a pp said, talk to a professional Lactation Consultant - your Dr should be able to help you find one :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:37 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• JUST DONT GIVE UP!! read alot! do not trust others...lactation consultants, and doctors to give you all the info you need. It is an AMAZING thing you can do for your baby and your self. enjoy every moment :)
    rachelmm007

Answer by rachelmm007 at 12:54 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• LACTATION CONSULTANT!! READ READ READ, DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:25 AM on Nov. 10, 2009