when to take off the bottle???

My daughter is almost 16 months and all the grandmas are pushing me to take her off the bottle, but some say not to yet??? So when did you take your kids off the bottle and how, what works, what doesn't? I need some help!!

leksismommy

Asked by leksismommy at 10:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I took all my kids of at 1 the earlier the easier I think.
    mom2four25

Answer by mom2four25 at 10:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• how did you take them off??? my daughter bites through all the sippy cups and they leak like crazy, the the solid ones she cant get the milk out
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 10:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• 12mos she needs to be off that bottle...the longer you wait the harder it is. How do you take it away? JUST TAKE IT! My oldest was on the bottle till 19mos but from 12mos-19mos just at night. The main reason he was on so long was because his sister and him were close in age and the pediatrician said do it before her birth or after...We decided after and I just took it away even at 19mos. Both my younger girls 12mos and bottle went bye bye!
    Anonymous

• I took my sons about a week after his first birthday. We just quit giving it to him (he only had one at morning, naptime, and bedtime by then anyway) and then replaced it with a sippy cup which we then cut back to only during the day. (He can have water at bedtime now and is almost 16 mos.)
    He fought it a little bit but I was just sympathetic and snuggled him extra. No real tantrums.
    BTW, we use the Take N Toss sippy cups and they are the only ones I use after trying all of the more permanent cups.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:20 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• DS's ped wanted him off the bottle by 15 months. But we eliminated the bottle by 13 months. At 16 months you may have more of fight on your hands but take it away 1 bottle at a time, saving the bottle that is most important to your DD for last. Don't give in, just offer a sippy. Eventually she will drink when she gets thirsty. If you want to transition, there are sippy cups that have a soft spout very much like a bottle nipple. Good Luck.
    irishmama1007

Answer by irishmama1007 at 7:54 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• The earlier you can get them off of a bottle the better. The bottle can actually lead to dental problems and early tooth decay. The best thing I've found for getting my kids off of the bottle was to just take them. I made this "fun" for my little ones by giving them a small trash bag and letting them throw them away and say bye bye to each one. Just be ready for a few rough days.
    my4kidsrock2

Answer by my4kidsrock2 at 8:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2009