Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What could happen if you give too much medicine to a child?

Tylenol Motrin and Robutussin. I got a few responses and now I feel bad I know I shouldn't have but I did..:(

He seems to be fine but what if...what could be the worse thing that could happen.

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (15)
  • overdose... kidney, liver damage
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • overdose, but Im sure that you didnt give him that much.
    sugahmamma

    Answer by sugahmamma at 11:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • I would just call Poison control and tell them what he has had, in what time period and let them tell you if he needs help. If it was just a little bit too much, I'm sure he'll be fine, but if it was a huge amount then you definitely need to call poison control. My friends daughter (she's 2) drank a half of a bottle of liquid Tylenol and poison control told her that she'll be ok, just drowsy for a while. Keep within the recommended amounts though because too much of these medications over time can cause kidney and liver damage.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • call poison control or your local ER and ask because mixing all the different ones and giving them to him in such a close time frame could possibly be harmful...or call a pharmacy.
    shay1130

    Answer by shay1130 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • Motrin causes kidney damage, Tylenol causes liver damage, Robitussin will make him very sleepy...or worse depending on how much was given. i agree with others, if you are worried, you need to contact someone.

    momjoy1027

    Answer by momjoy1027 at 11:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • why would a child need that much medicine to begin with? I agree with pp you should call poison control...the worst thing that could happen is an overdose which could result in stomach pumping or death..depending on the age and weight depends on the dose...follow the directions next time if your not sure call a doctor...never give a child more then needed, and try not to mix different medications.
    justinsmommie09

    Answer by justinsmommie09 at 11:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • motrin and tylenol will not cause any damage unless you are abusing them and using them for a long period of time...it will not hurt in one dose
    shay1130

    Answer by shay1130 at 11:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • they could die!
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • If you remotely think you gave too much you need to contact the ER.
    SusieD250

    Answer by SusieD250 at 12:52 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

  • It could cause liver damage if too much is given.   It would depend upon how much you gave him, but I would call poison control, or his physician to be sure.  It's your child and safe than sorry is usually the best approach to something so precious.

    Knightquester

    Answer by Knightquester at 1:35 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN