Midwives that don't do VBACs?

I am 14weeks along w/baby #2 after a very unwanted & unnecessary c-sec. I've been struggling w/the option of a repeat vs VBAC. I have visited hundreds of websites including ICAN, forums that share successful & terrible VBAC stories, nurses & doctors' forums, I have spoken w/friends & relatives & I have heard from many of u.
After 14 weeks of changing my mind on a bi-daily basis, I thought I came up w/a final decision to VBAC. I want to enlist the help of a midwife /doula because although my own doctor & hospital "allow" for a trial of labor, I know they're not rooting for me.
After searching thru many more websites, I found a handful of doula/midwifery services in my area. Some are home birth only. Some are in-house facilities. The 1 midwife that assists births @ the hospital doesn't assist VBACs. So many women & midwives encouraging VBAC, I finally make my decision & they are afraid just like my doctor. HOW DISCOURAGING!

CafeMomBinky

Asked by CafeMomBinky at 11:09 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• In my experience, it's actually fairly uncommon for Midwives to discourage or not attend a VBAC. They usually are the only ones that WILL attempt it. I'm sorry things are so difficult for you. Some places are just backwards! Can you believe the hospital in my town actually makes women in labor stay in bed for the entire thing?
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• personally i would want to be at the hospital when you attempt this... just because of possible(but hopfully not) complications.

Good luck in finding someone to help you out.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• perhaps find a doula first- they may have insider knowledge about what midwives do VBACs (but may not be able to "advertise" through hospital websites). Good Luck
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:10 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• The problem that you are finding is that midwives at hospitals are not their own entity. They are a nurse, and categorized as such (Certified Nurse Midwife). That means that they must work under the supervision of a doctor. A midwife that choose not to seek certification, or a midwife with the certification of Certified Professional Midwife (CPM) may be able to attend a VBAC. This does not mean that VBAC's are not safe, it simply is a matter of legalities. your best bet would be to seek out a homebirth, even moreso then a independent birth center.
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:29 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• So a VBAC is still an option outside the hospital? If so, are they really afraid?
    Because I don't feel that hospitals are the best places to have normal births, I don't think you should feel too discouraged. If you have better-safer-more pleasant options~ then yayy!! :-D
    It is less likely to have what you are hoping for in the hospital environment--- it is easier to have what you are hoping for in the birth center or home environment. And that is great for you because those are wonderful locations to do it at. :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:25 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i think the best shot of a VBAC is at home. :) do some research on homebirth and see if you feel comfortable with that option.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2009