on my first full day of BFing- getting rock hard and tender in both boobs

am i doing this right? especially my right breast is tender and "hard" this is the breast i fed on last, so it should technically be soft? do i need to feed on this breast again to make it feel better?

i have a medela pump in style advance shoulder bag breast pump but the power adapter replacement is in the mail so i can't use the pump yet- i think it comes with a manual option but i don't understand it.

you guys have great tips, any help would be appreciated. i am SUPER new to this. i waited it out with no formula, took 4 days for the baby to get milk from me and she's so much happier now.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 11:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you should switch breast each time she feeds just to give the other one a little bit of a break you can also get a breast cream in the baby section of walmart and put it on after each feeding it will helpkeep them from getting hard and sore
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 12:01 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I would also go take a warm shower and hand express the milk until your breasts become soft again. Lean over and that will help a lot... in the shower.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:03 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I had a really hard time getting my son to latch on. They sell cilicone nipple covers that lessen the pressure on the nipple and make it easier for a baby to drink. These were life savers for me. When your milk does come in, it can be a lot. Try to express a little before you start the feeding process. Also, do not be afraid to call the dr/midwife. They should be able to consult you over the phone and perhaps set up an appointment with a woman from Le Leche League (or some kind of breastfeeding support group). Good Luck:)
    Also, when you get frustrated- remind yourself that both you and your baby are new to this. It can be very hard to get the hang of something new- especially when you are tired and/or hungry. Like most things, it will take work and practice. Try to stick with it and keep asking for help and advice when you need it.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:04 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• The breast tend to get hard (imagine a balloon full of water). You could pump your breast MANUALLY.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Do I need to pump though? Yes it's tender to the touch but i thought that was normal? I just am wondering if i should continue to feed on the tender breast until it feels better, then switch and maybe do the other breast twice if i need to even it out.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:09 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Best way to avoid engorgement is to feed baby on demand, although it's something that does tend to happen to us when our milk first comes in. If you do express any milk, just express enough to relieve yourself. An ounce is usually plenty, you don't want to remove too much because it can make the engorgement worse. Try using cold packs between nursing and using warm compresses before and/or during nursing sessions. You can also do breast massage while nursing to help with the flow of milk. The engorgement doesn't last forever, thank God, I remember those days in the beginning. Hth =)
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 12:12 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• You don't need to pump if you don't want to, it's an option if you become painfully engorged. You can absolutely do two feedings at one breast then switch. It's called block feeding.
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 12:14 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• ty
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:29 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Every one's given you great advice so I just want to add: The 1st month or so might not be very easy, it can be uncomfortable and painful, BUT it will get easier! You can do it! Keep asking for help when you need it, on here, from friends, from a lactation nurse/specialist, etc. Good luck :)
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:43 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Keep an eye on it and if it doesn't let up soon, get checked.

Mine got ROCK HARD and hurt like hell...never did figure out why and eventually, as full as I was (pumping 6oz per breast in 10 minutes each) it became too painful inside to continue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Nov. 10, 2009