How long does the puppy stage last for? When will my puppy settle down and be relaxed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Pets

• About two years, which is why I recommend that families with younger kids adopt an older dog. I adopted my Golden Retriever from a rescue agency when she was a year old and she has been PERFECT--already housetrained, never chewed, calm in the house when given regular exercise.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 3:44 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• depends on the breed - but most dont start settling down til at least 2 years of age
    AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 12:27 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Typically, two years of age is when they grow out of the puppy stage but it really depends on the breed. Labs for instanse are in it longer. Mine is almost 5 yrs old and still acts like a puppy in a lot of ways.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:29 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I agree with the first two post and also dogs who are not fixed tend to be more high strung throughout their lives.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:52 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I agree with everyone else, but one more thing that wasn't mentioned - are you talking about the house-training, chewing, etc, or are you talking about the energy level? Because they're completely different things.
    Most dogs will be physically mature at 1 year old, but the puppy energy lasts longer. Labs act like puppies for YEARS (like KyliesMom5 said) but some dogs calm down around 1 1/2 or 2. It really does depend on the breed. For instance, my boxer/pit was 1 1/2 when I rescued him, and he was the most calm dog, but he did have some puppy energy left! Now he's 4, and he's gotten most of his puppyhood behind him but he still wants to play when we're outside together.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:17 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Agreed, 2 years, although one of mine took 3 years.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:44 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• 2-4 years depending on the breed. Having a puppy is like having a toddler in the house. If you want a calm dog, adopt an older dog.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i have always heard about 2 years. my mom's dog, however, is 4 years old and still very hyper ;)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Well we have a 4 month old Min Pin who is just crazy!!!! Chewing up anything he can get into, esp when we are not there, getting into the trash, which we have moved, now, picking on the older dog, the cats....and mouthing, and barking...sigh...I enjoy him, as he is a really sweet cute dog, but dang it...he is just a nut! He is getting housebroke..which is good, but I get so tired of cleaning up dog poop, esp when he gets into my daughters room...Freakin puppies....I dont' know what I was thinking!
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It largely depends on the breed. Like, I've always had terriers (currenlty have 2 pit bull terriers, but was raised with smaller terrier breeds)...and they NEVER seem to grow up! lol My pits are 1 and 4. The 1 year old is female and spayed and MUCH calmer than our 4 year old male who is unfixed (which is soon to change, he's getting neutered at the end of the month) so there are a lot of factors.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 3:05 AM on Nov. 13, 2009