Diagnosis Appointment tomorrow

My DD (7) has been evaluated for ADHD and More and we find out the results of the test and the recommendations for meds and therapy and such tomorrow. I am scared to death for some reason- anxious and just plain worried for her future.

No real question I guess just needed to get that out.

Jezture

Asked by Jezture at 12:33 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am sure everything will be ok. Dont worry! At least you got hm tested im in denial about my 6 year old.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 12:45 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Breathe. It will be okay mama. I have been there only my son was diagnosed with autism. He was non-verbal for the first 3 years of his life. Now he is an articulate aoon to be teenager. Just remember what they tell you are suggestions. You still have the power in your hands. You know your child better than anyone else. You can try new diets, behavioral techniques. If you are not happy with her meds make sure that you call and have them adjusted. The possibilities for your child are endless. If I had listened to the "experts" my son would have never learned to ride a bike, to start a conversation and do school work above grade level. I listen to my instincts. Pulled him out of school, refused meds and did things our way. He has thrived and the future is brighter than anyone could ever imagine. Love is the most important thing in a child's development. Sounds like she has that in an abundance.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 12:52 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I also want to tell you that you are fortunate in getting a diagnosis. My teen daughter has adhd, She has struggled in school her whole life. Yet, They use to think that ADHD was not present in girls. They just gave me parenting techniques and told me to ground her, take away privileges. The school did not care that she could not focus long enough to read a page in a book. No diagnosis, no IEP. Leaving her to sink or swim in school. The doctors kept saying it was because girls are more social etc. I wish I could go back and demand help for her. Her road to success will take longer. Actually you are giving your daughter the tools to succeed. My daughter has the social abilities my son longs for, my son has the academic ability my daughter longs for.Every child has some kind of obstacle. They just need to know that they should never allow them to hold them back from their dreams.

CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 1:01 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Thank you all so much for the inspirational words. They really do help! i am scared but a little excited too- this will mean changes for her IEP and more assistance from her teachers and such which she really needs.
    Jezture

Answer by Jezture at 1:26 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Have you looked into diet first? Just research it ALOT. I would try all other alternatives before getting medication for it.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:08 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Do your own research! Don't rely on others to make your decisions.
    There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:11 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Don't worry about her future. You're getting her the help she needs now. ADHD is not a death sentence, it can be controlled with therapy and if needed medication.

And as for the above poster...if it's "controlled" with diet, it's NOT ADHD. It's a food sensitivity or allergy. (I love that all of her answers lately are copied and pasted LOL)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Nov. 10, 2009