Do you think kids today are overdiagnosed?

Do you think doctors are too willing to slap an ADD or ADHD diagnosis onto kids these days?
When I was growing up, I only knew one or two kids with ADHD, now it seems like one out of four kids have it and are on medication for it...
I know there are definitely signs of the disorder, and that some kids absolutely have it, but I wonder if these doctors ever stop to think that kids are supposed to be a little hyperactive with short attention spans...they ARE kids, after all!
(Btw, I'm not trying to bash ANYONE, or say that it's not a big deal, because I know it is, and it's a very difficult disorder to live with, I was just wondering!)
What do you all think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I absolutely think this! I understand that some kids have ADD, ADHD, and are autistic. However, it seems like these days, every kid who isn't perfect is being diagnosed with some disorder or another, and often being medicated. Normal kids, just because they're hyper, are being diagnosed with being hyperactive. People are different, we're not all the same. I've known parents whose kids were misdiagnosed because of "beavioral issues" that ended uo just being a phase in the childs life. I'm not saying that this is always the case, but I know it is in some instances. If and when anyone tries to diagnose my child with anything like this it will be highly questioned and I'll seek multiple opinions, ESPECIALLY before medicating him. I actually think this is bcoming a big problem in our society.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:30 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I won't say over diagnosed. I would say mis diagnosed. Because I think some do have a disorder, but maybe not add.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Both valid points. Mommypip: Most doctors get perks from different drug companies when they prescribe drugs; I'm pretty sure that's why many, many doctors over-medicate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• We have to admit that our bodies are exposed to many environmental toxins including, food, water, vaccines, global warning, pollution, contamination, etc. Our mental and physical health can be affected by all these factors.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I think they over medicate and maybe misdiagnose. My cousing was diagnosed with it and my uncle refused to do meds for it. He was hyper yes, but could focus for hours on something he was *interested* in! He did well in school without the meds but was just a little hyper. We doubt that he actually had it verse just had energy. Once he got into sports and more activies, he got better too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I think it's better understood and the diagnostic tools are better now than they were even just 10 years ago. There is also a larger population, so it also stands to reason that because of that alone there would be more diagnoses.

No, I do not think they are over diagnosed. If there is over medicating, it is because the parents allow it.

(I live with two individuals who have ADHD)
    Anonymous

• ABSOLUTLEY!!! When my daughter was 2 1/2 everyone was on my case about her walking on her toes, so I took her to a doctor and they refered her to a physical medicine phys, who shot her little muscles full of botox which made her incontinent, and on other visits they diagnosed her with ADHD, OCD, ODD, CP and speech problems and refered her to a neurologist, who had no bedside manor for children--and said she was crazy & didn't know what was wrong with her!!
    Well I finally said, SCREW THIS SO WHEN SHE WAS FOUR AND THE PRESCHOOL WANTED AN IEP AND PEOPLE SAID I HAD TO KEEP TAKING HER TO THE DOCTOR OR CPS WOULD TAKE HER BECAUSE I WOULD BE DENYING HER MEDICAL CARE, I QUIT TAKING HER TO THE DR, TOLD THE SCHOOL TO MIND THEY OWN DAMN BUSINESS AND EVERYONE ELSE WHERE TO GO, THAT I WAS MY DECISION AND NOW SHE I AN PERFECT 9 EAR OLD WITH PERFECT GRADES AND FRIENDS AND IN EVERY EXTRACIRICULAR ACTIVTIES,SHE IS SMART & SO FUNNY AND HEALTHLY
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 1:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• IN OTHER WORDS I WAS RIGHT AND THE DOCTORS WERE WRONG, SHE STILL WALKS ON HER TOES--SO I MEET THE DOCTORS IN THE MIDDLE AND TELL PEOPLE SHE HAS A SLIGHT CASE OF CP--BUT I THINK THEY WERE WRONG ABOUT THAT AS WELL, BECAUSE SHE CAN RUN AND JUMP AND DANCE AND CLIMB
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 1:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Well you asked the perfect question for me...I'm sliding my soap box over to the podium...
    Hell YES, I think it's over diagnosed and WAY overmedicated! Yes, some kids have an organic brain issue that requires medication. But it should NOT, NOT, NOT be precribed because little Johnyy couldn't sit perfectly still and quiet in his chair for 3 hours and we didn't want to put forth any extra effort to keep him interested. They are children. We already took away most of their PE time and now we expect them to sit still, not utter a peep, and listen to everything we can drone on and on about. It is ridiculous. The other thing I get irritated about is people who have no MEDICAL experience making medication recommendations to parents and "encouraging" them to see their doctor. If you are a parent, go with your instincts. Again, it is not that I don't think some kids really and truly need meds, there are those that definitely do.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 10:11 PM on Nov. 12, 2009