advice for my particular situation - episiotomy or not??

I'm due today, and am scheduled for an induction on Friday if he doesn't get here by then. Anyway, my personal situation is this: My doctors do NOT test for size of baby, so I do not know how big he is estimated to be/Large babies do run in my family, and hubs and I both have large heads, if that means anything/I will probably be having an epidural so I will most likely be laying somewhat flat and not at liberty for squatting and other techniques that reduce tearing/I have not done any perineal massages (I suppose it won't do any good to start now?). So, in my particular circumstance, what do you recommend? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have to agree with the other posters. I've had an episiotomy and I have torn. I believe my tears healed better.

Doctors are not always correct when they estimate a baby's size. They told my sister she was going to have a very small baby (they were worried) and she had a 8lb 9oz baby. Granted that was 8 years ago...

Good luck and congrats!
    prdill08

Answer by prdill08 at 2:45 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• NO episiotomy, no need. Skip that. There is NO evidience that proves it's truly beneficial. It is not necessary or safe or healthful.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:17 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Personalley I would not get a volenteer episiotomy cuz the baby might just come out without ripping you, weather you rip or they cut you it sucks, I got ripped with both my boys, my baby is now 1 year old and it still hurts sometimes when we do it for a long period of time or if we do it everyday. Good luck momma and congrats!!!
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:20 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I would not do an episiotomy, even a large baby does not automatically mean that you will tear. there is no reliable way to determine the babies size at all before it is born, even the ultrasounds can be way off!
    If you are really concerned about tearing i do wonder why you are getting induced and going for an epidural since you do seem to know that laying on your back with coached pushing and numb legs give you a much higher chance of tearing in the first place.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 7:56 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i would NOT do an episiotomy but then again i would not get induced for no reason or get an epidural unless i was in extreme pain. every woman is different! imo there is no reason to get an episiotomy in 99.9999% of cases, no reason to induce without a medical need, and no reason to plan on epidural until you see whether the pain is extreme. gl! btw, there is no "test" for size of baby, there are just guesses based on palpating the stomach or ultrasound.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i would NEVER choose an episiotomy. i would also not get induced or get the epi either. the main reason (at least to me) for when they do an episiotomy is to get the baby out when they want it to instead of letting your tissues stretch naturally. but, also having an epi and being induced is going to up your chances of getting an episiotomy or tearing, having a forcep delivery, and having a c/s. i would rather tear than have an episiotomy. i would rather my baby come when s/he is ready.
    i saw a woman get a 4th degree episiotomy bc the dr wanted to rush. it was horrible. i bet she spent over 45 min stitching her up. it was unnecessary!!!
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:16 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Why are you even trying to figure out if you are going to get one of not? I know people who have pushed out 10 pound babies (with an epidural) that did not tear AT ALL and I know people that tore from front to back with 6 pound babies. The size of your baby doesnt so much mean anything... If you have a good doc/midwife, they will lube you up and do the perineal massage as you are pushing and then hopefully you wont tear.

The ONLY reason I would get an episiotomy is if the doc needed to use forceps or a vaccum and the baby still wasnt coming out. Other than that... I would risk a natural tear
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:51 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Wow. I appreciate the information but some of you were very judgmental and accusatory. My doctor has suggested induction, I didn't decide it on my own. There are risks with waiting too long to have your baby delivered as well. I didn't really ask how any felt about induction, simply advice on episitomies. Kinda wish I hadn't bothered, cause it is obvious that most of you are extremely bias and into the natural stuff, which is fine, but it doesn't really help my situation. But thanks for taking the time anyway.
    Anonymous