Help, I can't get her to wein from Breast feeding!

I have an 18 month old daughter, and I want to wein her! I got her down to about 3-4 feedings a day. When I try, she freaks out, and screams. One night, she screamed her head off for an hour before I gave in. She will drink a bottle, but she just won't give up the bf. She has like 14 teeth, and bits every now in again. I just don't know what to do, and I need to do it soon.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD is 19 months and still nursing. I'd try to stick it out a little longer. I am for 2 big reasons, first, because of the time of year, I want her to have the extra immune system support to fight off colds and flues. Second, because the World Health Organization recommends a MINIMUM of two years. So if you can, go with it for a little longer. If you can't then I'd just tried doing it really gradually, start to reduce the amount of time she nurses during one of the sessions till you can drop it, then move on to another.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:53 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• At this point one big reason its hard is because of comfort, you are her favorite blankie in a sense. I agree I would try to stick it out a little longer. I was able to breastfeed two of my 3 children till just before their 3rd birthdays and the feedings were in the evenings only once they hit age 2. They were able to eat all other meals and drink milk during the day while i worked and breastfeed when i was home for the night. It worked out well and i slowly introduced new comfort objects but they never quite attached to other comfort items like they did to me. My oldest had a comfort item from early on so it was different and he weaned at 8 weeks (not by my choice).

There are no magic answers to weaning because every child is different and copes in different ways with change. Around age 2 1/2 they do start to self wean to some extent normally you can tell when they are ready to stop.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:07 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I know that a lot of people are not going to agree with my answer, but I want to say right now that this is just what worked for me, and it was unintentional. *** When my daughter was 13 months and still bf, I was very sick for a week (not contagious). But dad was working serious overtime and I was EXHAUSTED from parenting alone... Grandma took baby to her house for the weekend (Fri night-Sunday) which was okay because she would take a bottle too. When my daughter came home Sunday night, she was pretty much weaned. I was bummed out about it for awhile, but she is fine and happy so I am too.
    evaRoo

Answer by evaRoo at 9:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I know what you are going through, right now bfing iis painful for me and I'm ready to be done, I'm trying to drop the mid morning feeding this week, then next week the afternnon one, if you haven't already, work on getting her to go to sleep without nursing. Just wait until she's relaxed and almost asleep but not quite then take out the nipple so that when she actually falling asleep she's not nursing (this may take quite a few tries). then slowly increase the amount of time before she drifts off and you stop nursing
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 10, 2009