How many do you have now?

I asked this back in March - go look at your local paper's help wanted ads/craigslist and count how many legitimate jobs are hiring right now (no work at home scams, no exotic dancers/pyramid schemes/bogus employment agencies, no support groups of classes, only actual paying, full time jobs)
When I asked in March, our U/E had us with about 10k people here out of work, and there were 39 real jobs hiring. This week we have about 18k out of work (not counting all the ones that have fallen off the rolls) and 35 real job listings.
How does it look by you? (and if you answered back in March, how does it compare to where you were 8 months ago?a)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:09 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm fortunate to live in an area where we don't even see the recession. I can't even understand what the rest of the world is going through right now, but I do wish the best for everyone!! I just looked in the Sunday paper, because I was considering getting a job and there were many professional jobs, service jobs and a few office jobs that I was considering. I don't need a job, though, but I feel like I should go back. Anyway, it is no different than it was 1 or 2 years ago or 8 months ago, but really this part of the USA doesn't really count.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Anchorage's unemployment rate was 8.4 percent -- representing 11,400 jobless workers
    Craigslist has 250 full time positions available.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:29 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My city has an unemployment is 12% that is up from 6.8% this time LAST Year. There are roughly what look to be 30-40 legit positions.  Hotjobs, careeer builder, and monster.com's jobs are dismal.  Unless you are a nurse/speech pathologist/etc, the diversity of jobs just aren't here.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:08 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• the best paying jobs are not found in the local "sunday paper." employment agencies or "head hunters" are where you go when you want to land a head of household, white collar job that requires a college degree that is in excess of $50k per year. otherwise, your union will know better where the jobs you seek are located for skilled/hourly labor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

ROFL yeah, that's it. We have 18% unemployment because none of those 18k people know where to look.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:37 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• You can't even get a job at McDonalds here in Michigan if you need one.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:06 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Last check it was over 9 percent unemployment here..and that is worse then it was before..work has slacked off for hub at his job worse then ever..usually it is a pretty busy place..I do not know the exact number of real job offerings but its slim pickings..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:15 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I just checked, there are 11 ads in our local paper for a 6 county area. That includes the part time jobs.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:41 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Anon:otherwise, your union will know better where the jobs you seek are located for skilled/hourly labor.

Ummm, yea. What about the thousands of union guys in my area who have no jobs because Delphi(4 plants), GM(3 plants) and all their vendors(12+) left my area? That is the funniest thing I have read this morning.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:22 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Our unemployment here is 4.1 percent. Homes sales are strong and there are only 3 forclosures in town. There are jobs here. My husband has been trying to fill a spot that pays 90k a year. He cannot find anyone. They need a college degree and very professional. John Deere is hiring as well most are 100k jobs. Finding a low paying job is more difficult we are a college town and once school starts those places are full up. Our home went up nearly 6 percent in value over last year. Homes are also selling a 100 percent of asking price right now. Costs are down and you would never know the recession was going on around here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Nov. 10, 2009