hospital blood tests?

what all do they draw blood for in the hospital & how far back will it date for what they are looking for?
i HATE having my blood drawn, its a weird fear that i have...& i am having nightmares aboout it! Im told havin some info on whats its for and all that might set me a little more at ease...

jenger1030

Asked by jenger1030 at 3:22 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Im assuming that your pregnant. Well, do you mean during your whole pregnancy or right before you go into labor? They do several tests during your whole pregnancy hon. As far as in right before labor. They check iron levels, red and white blood cell counts, sometimes glucose tests, and i think thats it. Just the standard testing. They do further testing if you have other health problems whatever those may be. As far as drugs go..im not sure. I never worried about that because i never did any.
    Anyhow, try not to stress about blood tests. I use to worry about them also. Only because im sexually active even with my husband and i worry about everything. Its normal to worry. JUst dont make yourself sick or over think it. Its just blood. Everything will be fine.
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 7:31 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i have been wondering the same thing because i am very needle-phobic. it's easy for non-needle-phobes to say not to worry. lol. you can't understand unless you have the fear too.

during my first pregnancy, i had 2 blood draws during my pregnancy, and none while in labor. i remember that they tested for STDs and for anemia but don't remember much else. i am now pregnant again and plan to ask my midwife when i have my first appt what the blood test is for and what they do if there is a "bad" result before i get the blood test. you can refuse anything of course but if doing the test might find a problem that could then be treated, i think it's a good thing to do. now if they are testing for stuff and then there is nothing to be done about it, then i won't get the blood tests, but i'm pretty sure for like anemia for example, if you do have anemia then they will treat it and it can be really bad to have it untreated.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:24 AM on Nov. 10, 2009