What kind of help do you get from your family?

Do your parents, sisters etc.... help out with anything like babysitting or spending time with you with or without your kids? What kind of help/support if any do they provide?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Maybe twice a year his parents will watch our son for free so that we can have a date. It's very very very nice of them and we really appreciate it.
    They live about 100 miles from us though so that's probably why it's only twice a year. My family lives about 500 miles away....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:37 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• As for my family I only get critized on how I raise my children. My mom past away 11 yrs ago but if she was still around I would be able to at least go out to eat dinner once a month. As for my husbands family I rather not ask for help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• It's hard isn't it? I moved 1500 miles with DH and DS when he was 8 months old to be closer to my family ( Mom, 2 sisters and 2 brothers ) because according to most of them I belonged closer to family so they could be supportive and I wouldn't be so lonely. I'm a SAHM and it can be hard at times. Anyway, my 28 yo sister lives in the apt above us and in the 13 months we have been here has babysat 1 time. I not only get no support with DS they don't even support me as a sister, daughter or friend. I'm the oldest took care of my siblings growing up and always took them out etc... Now when I need them ..nothing. They don't even do stuff with me movies, dinner, shopping,etc...whatever get me out of the house for a little bit. It's so frustrating.I don't know why they tried to convince me to move here. Just wanted to know what kind of support other Mom's had as far as extended family. Thanks for replying
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:05 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• my oldest sister live 15 minutes away, and has babysat for me on occasion. she even called in on a saturday to take care of me and my ds while i was puking/diarhea my guts out. thankful for that!!
    my parents are 80/85, unable to drive themselves, have various health problems..no babysitting there, unless its me who left my ds with them while i ran to the grocery store (2 blks away from there home) for them.
    my MIL--totally able to babysit, but chooses to be with her daughter's kids, instead. no help ever from her.

i don't get out by myself very often at all. in fact, everyone knows that ds is with me 24/7..so if you want to see me, you'll be seeing my 4 1/2yo , also. (dh works/lives out of town, is only home 2 days/mon.)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:10 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• We are very blessed. My MIL lives about 10 miles away and my parents live about 20. They are always willing to watch my son if they are available. My parents take our son for an over night sometimes, and we're talking about making it a monthly occurance. Our parents are very helpful, they love our son, and I never hear a negative word about my parenting (though my Mom does like to say "I told you so" occasionally, but I figure she's my Mommy - she's allowed!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:47 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My family lives 20min away, and we usually see my mom once a week. My mom is very good about helping with the kids, especially if I have a work meeting or appointment during the day (when hubs is working) she will watch the kids if I need a sitter. She also loves to have them overnight, and 2 wks ago she asked to have all 3 of them overnight! She also will help out if the kids need anything (like school clothes). My dad sees the kids a few times a month- he is good with them and he will ask to have the older ones over, and do overnights with them. He also will help out if the kids need anything. My dad also pays for the kids hot lunch for school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• We live with my dad. When my older 3 kids were little I got zero help from him. He flat out refused (and told me so) to ever babysit them unless it was an absolute emergency (which never happened). So even though he was feet away I could never ask him for help. There were times I had the flu and was so sick and I had 3 toddlers to care for and if I even mentioned how tired I was he would just laugh at me and tell me, "you should have thought of that," then walk away. He wouldn't even make them a sandwich or something when I was too sick to move.
    Now that they are older (and he almost died of a heart attack) he does all sorts of stuff with them and when I was sick last week he cooked for them and kept them occupied so I could rest. He's babysat a couple of times in the last year, even so we could go on our first date in 5 years. Our other family live too far away to be any help.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:10 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I am very lucky in that my mom lives only 2 blocks away from us. She usually sees my DS once a day and is always willing to give us a break whenever we need it...DS loves his "Nanny" and that is so nice. She makes dinner for us usually once a week when we go down to her house. My in-laws also live about 15 minutes away and we see them usually once a week for dinner at their house. Between my mom and my dad they are always willing to babysit whenever we need them...We also have a great group of friends, most of which have kids so we do a lot with them as a group with our kids...
    jmoran

Answer by jmoran at 8:53 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• None. We moved away 13 years ago and my family has pretty much forgot I existed. They used to call but then it was just me calling. I finally stopped it is hard to keep a onesided relationship going. I have 7 sisters, 9 aunts and so many cousins but none are involved in my life or my childrens lives. Thankfully my husbands family is involved. Since my family could not be bothered to even call on occasion I stopped going to where they lived and we only go see my hubbys family. My mom once a year will call to complain I haven't been to see them and then tell me what a rotten kid I am. I have changed my phone number so none of them can contact me again. My husbands family is my family now and it works out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Zero help.

My parents are dead, my brother is out of state (but he would help if we lived close enough), my IL's are useless...either just dumber than a box of rocks or too old and in poor health.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Nov. 10, 2009