Once again, the "I Love You" question...

So, the other night, my friends and I were hanging out. My SO included.

Somewhere along the conversation, my SO, jokingly, told his guy friend that he loved me. Well, I must have had a look on my face or something because he turned around (I was sitting beside him) and tells me, "I love you too."

I didn't say anything back and it was a few days ago now...
I don't know if I was SUPPOSED to respond and if so, how.

We haven't been together for long-- not even a month yet.
[Long story... Sighhhh.]

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• No don't respond. that was cute though.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 7:44 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I wouldn't say it unless you mean it
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 6:46 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I agree with the first poster. don't say it unless you mean it. and you're SURE you mean it.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 8:01 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• never say 'i love you' if you don't mean it. especially if you feel its 'what you're supposed to say'.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:09 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Do you love him? Guys always throw that out there at the wrong moment though...lol. He could have waited until y'all were alone together & not said it in front of friends. That's kind of putting you on the spot. I remember when SO said he loved me for the first time. I had went on Vacation for two weeks, We had JUST started dating (but were friends for a while before) and he was freaking out. He missed me so much, it was scary...lol. We were having a normal conversation on the phone, & out of NO WHERE, he says "i love you" I was totally not expecting it...i did pause...but i did say it back because i meant it. I was just shocked...and really hoped the first "i love you" would be a bit more romantic. But, that's a dude for ya. At least he meant it...and i will never forget it.

So, do you LOVE him?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:27 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My dh told me that he loved me a couple months before I told him. The first time he told me though, after he said "I love you" he said "don't say it back unless you mean it" so I didn't. I never felt pressured to say it - he knew I had been in a really bad relationship and I don't take saying "I love you" lightly.
    Take your time and make sure you mean it before you say it. So many people say it so lightly now that I think for a lot of people, it's really losing the meaning it should have.

Answer by missanc at 8:56 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Oh, I realized there was a typo-
    "Somewhere along the conversation, my SO, jokingly, told his guy friend that he loved me."
    That should be- "Somewhere along the conversation, told his guy friend that he loved him."
    The guy friend, not me, haha.

Well, to be honest, I DO love him but I don't feel that it's right to say that I love him in just a few weeks, especially since the idea that we may not last past a month still stands...
    Anonymous