Concurrent Planning

Just came across an article on this. Apparently they are trying this in England and it takes one year. The child is raised by the Aparents but the Bmom visits up to 5 times a week and, if after a year hasnt gotten her life together, she loses custody.

How different is this from the US foster care system? Critics are saying that it is not allowing the bmom a chance to try and succeed /fail on her own since the child is taken away right away. (It is used mostly when the Bmom has a substance abuse history) What do you think

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Adoption

• It sounds a lot like foster care to me. Does England have a foster system? OTT is from England - maybe she can answer that.

I know that we were too devastated after the years of infertility and the failed IVF to assume such a high risk of having to say goodbye to a child we'd bonded with. That is one reason we decided against foster care. I know we wouldn't have done something like what you are describing here.

A big difference between that and U.S. infant adoption is that substance abuse is not always an issue. There are many reasons that women place, as I'm sure you know. It's not always as simple as allowing her a year to "get her life together". I'll be interested to see some of the other responses you will get.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:21 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I actually don't see this as a bad thing for situations where the bmom is a repeat substance abuse user. If she has really, truly turned her life around....she will be with that child every minute that she can. If that is the case where she is testing clean and is visiting her child at every chance then I don't think she should have to wait a year to get the child back though.
    hollyanne31

Answer by hollyanne31 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Do you have a link to the article? I'd love to see it.

Concurrent planning is a term used in state child welfare systems (at least here in WA). Prior to the termination of parental rights there has to be a concurrent case plan that is submitted to the courts at periodic intervals. Because the first goal is reunification, the case plan must list efforts to move towards reunification and also concurrent planning for an alternative permanent plan (whether that is adoption, emanicpation - aging out of the system; legal guardianship, etc.).

So without seeing the article, I'd have to agree with your analysis that it is very much like foster care situations here in the US where a woman may have repeat history of having children removed and so upon the birth of a subsequent child (and positive tox screen) that child is placed immediately into care.
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Yes, England has a foster care system. But, I know even less about that than I do the US system.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:10 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Still Sounds like Split The Child and ALL lose
    Anonymous

• In California they call foster care adoption 'Concurrent Planning'. If the prospective adoptive parents say they want straight adoption only , they will only accept legally free children. Children that are already legally free will tend to be older and/or higher special needs and/or sibling groups.

If you are a 'concurrent family' you agree to foster the child and agree to adopt the child if he is unable to reunify with his birth family (i.e. birth parents do not complete their reunification plan). So Plan A for the child is reunification, and Plan B is adoption. The idea is to try and limit the child's transitions, by placing her with a family that is willing to adopt rather then a foster family first, and later an adoptive family.
    ForeverMom05

Answer by ForeverMom05 at 11:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• In OK, there is a BRIDGE Prog - which allows biofamilies to spend time w/the foster family, learning "how" to parent, much of the time. If the parent is able to put things together, the child would reunify. We are parents who've agreed to participate in BRIDGE because what is more awesome than seeing a family heal? We aren't "typical" foster or adoptive parents as our goal isn't always to keep the child - we are clear going in every case - should this child NOT reunify - we would like to be considered for adoption FIRST... but that's not best in all cases.

We love the idea of helping a family heal and a child be where it's BEST to be....

Each biofamily with a child in care isn't criteria for BRIDGE - & the plan w/the program is that you even allow the bio family to come in your home - you build a bond, not only w/the child but also w/the parent - become a support that they otherwise to help success rates.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 1:45 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• con't

I'd enjoy reading the article - it sounds, though, very much like the Bridge program and a few other states have begun moving in this direction in the States.

There is a focus on reunification but not just saying - we're going to have you do all this class work and paper work but really have practical parenting practice and add in support to HELP parents be more successful.

Most of our friends don't understand our willingness to support reunification to the lengths that we do but while we know that it'd be hard to loose one, what more awesome thing to see than a family to heal and be together?
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 1:50 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Now that I know more about concurrent planning, I think it sounds like a great thing for people who are fostering and willing to adopt. I also think the Bridge program AAAMama spoke of sounds great. We use Love and Logic, and we've just learned from reading books. I've often thought how much more helpful it would be to have someone teach us and coach us.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2009