How many mom's are taking their child to doctor for having a fever, cough and sorethroat as soon as it starts?

The flu has been going around the schools in our area and my daughter got a fever, cough and sorethroat and it was only for one day.The parents I talked to didn't go to the doctor and their kids got over it fine too. My daughters teacher however asked why she didn't go to the doctor?I am a nurse and home treat my child and they are well alot quicker than most kids-Should we take our kids to the doctor and then send the school the bill? I never saw where it was a requirement to take your kid to the doctor the first day they are sick.I have got info online about Elderberries being equivalent to the Tamiflu so I had started her on that and she was only sick one day with the fever and now has occas. cough.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• why take her? if u are watching her and she is improving then i see no need 2. My kids all had a little couch and cold but a little meds and they have been fine. My 15 month old still has the couch at night but the fever broke. I'm not taking him to the Dr. I see no need.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 7:40 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I don't take them in for a little cough etc..the only time i did go in immediately was when my son woke up with a very high fever, diarrhea, puking, and was completely lethargic. He was barely moving..it turned out to be dengue fever (a tropical disease that is spread by mosquito's).
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 7:52 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Why expose a sick kid to secondary infections? Elderberry is amazing!!
    The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:15 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I don't take my duaghter in for just a cough. She has allergies and is in day care always has something. But if no fever and she's not acting sick then it's not worth wasting my time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I wouldn't take her either unless she was in distress. But she should stay home from school for 24 hours past the last fever.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:08 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My oldest was home for a week. I called the doctor's office and they printed out a note right then and there for him to go back to school the following week. They even mailed it so we never went in.

(fever for 2 1/2 days, cough, congestion, lethargic, vomited once)
    Anonymous

• I don't take my children to the Dr. for those things.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 3:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I took my son in when I suspected H1N1 but only because he was quite wheezy. He developed symptoms around 5pm one evening and I called the dr about 8:30 because he was in a fair amount of pain from the coughing, wheezing, and had a fever of 103 which is pretty high considering he rarely gets a fever at all and has never gone over 100 before. She said to treat at home and bring him in first thing rather than having to go to the hospital. He needed a breathing treatment at the drs office then got an inhaler to use at home for a few days too. If it hadn't been for the wheezing though I wouldn't have brought him in that soon.
    Anonymous

• Nope because his doctor isn't even treating children over the age of 2 for flu unless there is an underlying medical condition. Why expose your child to a waiting room full of sick kids when there is no treatment? Just watch for a couple of days and give Advil or Tylenol for the fever.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Our doctor has always had this policy, but he sent out letter to reiterate it with this flu season stuff now. DO NOT come into the office or go to the ER unless your child's fever is over (under 1 year 101, 1-2 years 102, 2-3 years 103, and over 3 years 104). Do not medicate unless over those either. Watch your child for dehydration (listed the signs) and go to the ER for that. Other then that rest and fluids and motrin when needed to bring down the fever. School's often want dr's excuses for more then a couple days missed and I would just need to call our doc and tell the nurse the symptoms and how long and we get one emailed to us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Nov. 11, 2009