Any tips on the most budget friendly homemade gift ideas?

I want to make homemade gift baskets for about 6 people. I plan to include candles, homemade dry cocoa mix, perhaps a mug to drink it from, and since those 6 people will be close family, a framed picture of my kids' professional Christmas pics. Does anyone know the best place to buy cheap but nice looking baskets, the same with the candles? I found a recipe online for the cocoa mix, so I suppose if I go to a craft store I can find holiday baggies to put it in with ribbon. What about the frames, where could I shop for cheap holiday frames? I want these baskets to look nice and like I put some effort into them lol. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Holidays

• Walmart has all of the things you will need to make these baskets. Any extra craft supplies that Walmart doesn't buy you can buy at Michaels, though they're a little more expensive. However, Walmart has baskets, candles, containers for the cocoa, frames, etc. I think they'd be your best bet to get everything you need. Great idea, by the way!!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I know Micheal's has beautiful holiday baskets, and they are usually 40% off! As for candles I would go to Yankee Candle Company...they usually have the votive candles for about $1 a piece, you could get a cute little votive holder from a dollar store and then have a few of the nice votive candles to put in each basket!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:19 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I do baskets all the time including selling them ... I get my baskets from thrift stores and dollar stores...paying anywhere from 10 cents to 2.00 a basket ... I clean them and air them out and add decorative items to them...such as bows (dollar store) ribbons, flowers.. all from dollar store.. I have even lined them with fabric too... As for cocoa mixes, put cocoa in mug with a cinnamon stick or teas with cinnamon sticks or candy canes... everything here can be bought relativelycheap at any dollar store... including, frames that are holiday decorated or plain that you can decorate yourself with paints and other items... candles, candle holders, liquid popepuri (sp) burners, mugs, teas, cocoa mixes, candies, soaps, hand towels, and gift cards now...just use your imagination...
    Check Micheals or any other craft store for shrink wrap to place your baskets in and using hair dryer can shrink it
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:28 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Ross has some GREAT baskets from time to time. The Dollar Tree also carries nice baskets around this time of year. I agree with buying the Yankee votive candles, Yankee smells SO good, and is good quality not like the dollar store candles. Dollar Tree does have some cute votive holders though, and you could probably even get the mugs there for the homemade hot cocoa mix.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:40 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I sell candles and during this time of the year I run very good deals on my votives. Send me a message and I will let you know the cost.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 9:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Thanks for the answers ladies! I also forgot to mention that I'm baking cookies to throw in as well, but being VERY lazy about it and buying the break & bake kind LOL! Hey they taste just as good IMO.
    Anonymous