herbs for toddlers

what other than peppermint is a safe herb for toddlers? my son has a runny nose and fmely cough. the cool mist humidifier isnt helping much and he has finally allowed me to use the saline drops which are helping drain him out. he doesnt like peppermint tea...what else can I offer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Elderberry is great for any viral infection, and kids usually LOVE the taste. You can do syrup, or make it in a tea. I would do a tea of elderberry, chamomile (unless you or your son's dad has an allergy to ragweed), and plantain. Elder works with the immune system, chamomile will help with fevers and aches, as well as keep him a little sleepy, and plantain will help break up the congestion.

Also, a balm with eucalyptus in it, and eucalyptus in the humidifier/diffuser. Or a cotton ball with eucalyptus oil on it tucked into his pillowcase at night.

Contact your local herbalist for more information. If you go to the natural foods store, I'm sure someone will have a business card posted on the board.
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 1:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• this wont be now but for later. if you get colloidal silver it will help build the immune system. the worst side effect if you take too much? you turn blue lol. i'm actually serious about that. so a couple drops in their drinks or yogurt, something like that will help build it. another one is sweet echinacea, only prob with that one is the smell, so its hard to get kids to take it sometimes. GL to you! o i think you can put eucalyptus drops in the humidifier to help clear out sinuses as well. but look that one up a bit more to make sure its safe for your child. i know i wasnt supposed to smell it being pregant.

AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 8:37 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• yes I watched a film of a man who drank it so much he is blue lol but he is healthy! lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:45 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Badger Sleep Balm may make him feel better.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:10 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• There are moms at the discussion boards at www.mothering.com that use herbs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Elderberry syrup is very safe (even for infants). The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:13 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i thought elderberry was only for fever????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• rkoloms...who said anything about Tamiflu? I can't even find where anyone mentioned the flu to being with?!
    Anonymous