What is the best way to roast a whole chicken?

I thought about making a beer-can chicken but I want to use my table-top roaster and the chicken won't fit in there standing up. I've never roasted a whole chicken before. Any tips on making it flavorful and juicy?

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 8:15 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I cook mine in my crock pot. I use a can of chicken stock to give it more flavor and to keep it juicy!

and you just put it in, turn it on, and go about your day! my chicken takes about 5hrs on high/med. and it's SO easy!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 8:17 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Do you season the outside of the skin with anything?
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 8:37 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Oops...I meant to post this in Food & Drink,
    WindyTheWidow

• You can season the outside different ways - lemon pepper, chili powder, poultry seasoning, onion powder. My son sticks butter and cloves of garlic under the skin in several places.

We cook ours in a Turbo Cooker if you happen to have one. Its really quick and makes the best chicken ever!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:01 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I usually melt some butter in some olive oil and coat the chicken with it before I put it in the oven. Then I use the mixture to baste it every so often until it's gone and use what's in the bottom of the pan after that. Baste frequently and add water to the bottom of the pan if it runs out. It's best to use a roasting pan with a rack in the bottom to keep the chicken from sitting directly on the bottom. I don't have a good roasting pan though so I use the rack from my toaster oven! Haha, it works okay though.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:03 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• MMMMM...i make mine in a crock pot too! I put some butter under the skin and then some water and season it with whatever you want and put some chicken bouon cubes in it. It is so juicy and it just falls off the bone! Delish! That is making me hungry for one now! LOL
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 9:06 AM on Nov. 10, 2009