Would you put your child on an IEP if needed, although it lables him/her?

tanya64

Asked by tanya64 at 8:26 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Umm...YES. I have two with IEP's. What the hell? If they need help, who cares about a temporary label?! That's insane!!

Why make them suffer through without help because a parent doesn't want them to "have a label"? They need a little extra help to learn the skills they need to live in the world...so what?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• not sure what an IEP is, but apparently, its not totally good??
    everyone gets labels, no matter what..its all in how you proceed and deal with whatever the 'problem' is that will effect your child negatively or positively.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:30 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Absolutely. This is the only way to get them full access to the wide array of services that is available to them. There is nothing wrong with an IEP- it is used as a communication tool. Please don't slight your child or make them feel ashamed. They will pick up on your feelings and attitude- so be careful.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 8:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• By the way- the label IEP doesn't necessarily mean something negative. Many states use IEPs for giftedness- so just because a child has an IEP doesn't mean people in the school system label him/her in a negative way.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 8:34 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I agree with the first answer. The "label" will just have to be dealt with....the priority should be getting the child the appropriate help.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:36 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about the label aspect of it. If your child needs one, then get it. Trust me, the "label issue" is NOT as big a deal as you think it is with them. My ds had one for yrs and yrs. Literally, he started school with one and had one up until he went into 6th grade, his was for speech problems.

At the same time, he was also well above grade level in his classes, he had a lot of friends, he was active in school things (he was on his Elementary School Student Counsel, Safety Patrol, and his school did a "news broadcast" every morning for announcements, and he was involved in that...) His teachers always talked about how much they loved having him in class...

The thing is, I truly believe that his IEP HELPED with bringing those things about - because he needed help with his speech above and beyond what we could give him or what the average kid got. If we hadn't addressed it,

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:45 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• cont

If we hadn't addressed his special need for help with his speech, and we had just ignored the problem, instead of going away, it would have just gotten bigger and would have had a negative impact on his life, and would have caused him to feel frustration and have other issues. THAT would have been what caused a negative label - a frustrated little boy that nobody could understand, acting out because of it (btw - I KNOW he would have, because he DID when he was frustrated and unable to be understood...) - in other words, he would have been a difficult kid who was disruptive and a behavior problem.

Instead, he was a happy, smart little boy who was very well liked by teachers and kids alike, who happened to have an IEP.

btw - that little boy is now in 11th grade, taking AP classes, with almost straight A's, so the IEP label didn't really hurt him any :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:48 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Of course. Some school systems have IEPs for gifted too

Answer by rkoloms at 8:49 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i had my daughter on an IEP for speech for 3 years and now she is being referred to the gifted program!
    RAI2001

Answer by RAI2001 at 8:55 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Go, sailorwifenmom! I could've written the same thing! Thank God for my daughter's IEP.

Too many people worry about "labels"...there are so many more important things to care about.
    kamsmw

Answer by kamsmw at 9:06 AM on Nov. 10, 2009