What is the best way to roast a whole chicken?

I thought about making a beer-can chicken but I want to use my table-top roaster and the chicken won't fit in there standing up. I've never roasted a whole chicken before. Any tips on making it flavorful and juicy?

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 8:57 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Take a sharp knife and slid it between the skin and the meat. Shove softened butter mixed with whatever spices you want under the skin and press the skin back down. You can also place a whole, peeled onion and some garlic in the chicken cavity so the smells will permiate the meat. Do not baste, but have water in the roasting pan. The key to moist, tender chicken is SLOW roasting. Low heat for many hours and then cooking for a short time without the lid to make a nice, crispy crust.

I also do the same thing with my turkey at Thanksgiving and everyone says that it's tasty and tender. I love to cook meat, but not eat it!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:10 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• rub with olive oil and put herbs under the skin, put lemons and more herbs inside the chicken cavity. Be sure to buy a roasting chicken not a fryer, bake at 350 until a meat therm. says the chicken is at 160, let rest about 10-15 minutes before carving, also salt and any other spices you like on the outside and inside of bird, now i want to come to your house for dinner--LOL
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:10 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I've done it several ways. I saw a tutorial on tv where the chef took butter(softened), rosemary, cumin, salt, pepper, paprika and mixed it in with the butter. Then he lifted the skin of the chicken and rubbed the butter/seasoning mixture underneath with his fingers(yes its a wee bit messy LOL) he threw it in the oven, uncovered, and baked it for about 40 mins.

I've also taken cornish hens(same deal as chicken pretty much), got a pot big enough to throw all 4 hens in and filled it with water, crushed garlic, salt, pepper, celery(chopped), chopped onion, rosemary (and whatever other seasonings float your boat) and I simmer the chickens in there for a good half hour to an hour to let it marinate. I take it out, drain the inside, then stick it on a foil lined pan(easier clean up) melt a little butter and pour it over the top and bake. You can just brush the butter on too.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 9:11 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Oh, I am torn between roasting it and throwing it in the crock pot like some others suggested in my Just For Fun post....

IHartU, what temperature do you cook yours on and for how long?
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:22 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• 300 for 3 hours and then I turn it up to 350 for about another hour to cook the skin.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:26 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• If you crisp the skin first, it creates a barrier to keep the juices in. I pour a little olive oil in a glass dish and sprinkle herbs. Then place the chicken breast-side down and roast at 425 for 15-20min. Then flip the bird to breast-side up, roast again at 425 for 15-20 min. Then I turn it down between 350-375 and cook for an additional hour or until juices run clear.
    kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 9:45 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I like a chicken cooked fast and high temp that way the breast meat doesn't dry out. I learned that method watching Ina Garten and her show Barefoot Contessa.

This is her method, too.
    Preheat your oven to 425.
    Rinse your chicken inside and out (remove any gross parts) and pat dry w/ paper towel. Sprinkle with salt and pepper inside and out. Brush the outside of the bird with melted butter. Re-season. Quarter a lemon (or any citrus fruit- I like orange too) and slice the top off of a head of garlic. Stuff the lemon and garlic into the cavity of the chicken. If you have some- stuff fresh herbs into the cavity too (my favorite is rosemary- but I have also used thyme & parsley). Tuck the wing tips under the bird, close the legs and tie them together with string. Roast about 1.5 hrs till the legs are wiggly and the juices run clear (prick the thigh w/ fork).

Look her up on foodtv.com- her chicken recipes are my favorites.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 10:09 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• According to my husband and friends, this is the best roast chicken ever (trust me i had to go through some real dry chickens to get this one perfect!) and its healthy, with NO ADDED FATS. It doesn't need it. Take a whole chicken. Separate the skin from the meat without tearing the skin (just slide your fingers up underneath). Thinly slice a lemon, and wash a few whole sage leaves. Slide the slices of lemon and sage leaves up under the skin of the breast, thigh, and leg. Preheat oven to 450. Place the chicken, breast side up, in a roasting pan on a rack. Put a little stock in the bottom of the pan. Roast at 450 for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 for an additional hour to hour and a half depending on the size of the chicken. Use a oven safe thermometer placed in the thickest part of the thigh. Set the temp to 180. when it hits 180, take the chicken out and let it sit for 10 minutes before cutting. Should be juicy!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I meant to add in earlier, before you place the chicken in the oven, rub the skin with mrs dash italian seasoning!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2009