Is there a safe natural head lice removel treatment that WORKS Ive heard tea tree oil ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• http://lacetoleather.com/ridlice.html

try this link. and yes tea tree oil is great!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:06 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• At Cvs they sell and electric lice remover comb that kills nits, the only way to remove them off of bed clothes etc is to wash in very hot water, the laundry mat has higher temps and bigger machines, take all stuffed animals and wrap in 2 garbage bags and close very tightly, do not open for 2 weeks... it will smother them, honestly, I am a hairstylist and this is the time of year they are most prevelant, I have never had anyone have a reaction to the lice killing shampoo and it will kill them on contact. Tea tree oil does not seem to do the job, I have had clients try it for their kiddos, and it didn't work so hot, so sorry mom, if you need any more info message me, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:07 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Even though the hairstylist said Tea Tree Oil does not work, I have seen actual crawling lice fall out of (my toddler's hair)... dead on contact! The only thing is that you have to make sure it is 100% undiluted oil... the kind you can find in homeopathic medicine stores, not the stuff that is mostly water sold in drug stores.
    However, I was not confident it would kill any eggs in my daughter's hair, so I searched Wal-Mart and found a non-toxic (peticide free) combing gel. It says it kills the lice AND eggs through dehydration and is even safe for babies (over 6 months).

It is called "Lice Freee!"
    The only thing that might be a concern is the warnings say it may trigger asthma attacks and allergic reactions if you are sensitive to ragweed.
    evaRoo

Answer by evaRoo at 9:34 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Oh, and with Tea Tree Oil, another reason it might not work is that it should not be rinsed out. The first application should be put on the hair at the beginning of a bath and rinsed out after 10-15 minutes, but after towel drying kiddo's hair you need to put a little less in and leave it. It won't hurt anything other than having a distinct scent.
    evaRoo

Answer by evaRoo at 9:38 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Hi I posted earlier, Tea Tree does kill lice on contact but not the eggs, so in my experience the people who have used it have had problems with them coming back--just wanted to clarify!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:02 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Who cares if it is natural as long as it works! Water is a chemical. Get over it. All natural frequently means uncontrolled and untested.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Try using mineral oil & a shower cap. It's greasy & gross, but it will smother the lice, both adults & nits. Adding a high quality tea tree oil to the mineral oil will also help. Just have your child (or whomever has the lice) slather on the mineral oil & cover with the shower cap before bed, then in the morning comb out the hair w/a lice comb to pull out any nits or adults, then wash as usual. Do this every morning/night until you don't find any more lice with the comb.

Wash all bedding & clothes in hot water prior to starting the treatment & when you're all finished (just in case). Either freeze stuffed toys or put them in a hot dryer if you can. Vacuum carpets at least daily.

This is the most non-toxic way to eliminate lice.

Unfortunately, not everybody is so thorough, and you or your child could pick them up again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Nov. 10, 2009