My 13 yr. old thinks she can just do what she wants!!! UGH!!!!

She is a high honor student, does her chores after we have to ask her 10x's. She generally is a great kid, but lately she has been doing what she wants including hanging out with a 18 yr old neighbor who had taken off to Florida with her boyfriend to get away from his "gang" (didnt even know there were any gangs around here) without her parents even knowing where she was. Now she is home and pregnant and plans on going back!!!
My DD has her phone taken away (and yes I did look at her txts evry night and she is not allowed to erase any), her ipod touch is now gone. Nothing seems to bother her when something is taken away or if she is grounded! She's just like Okay...no big deal.....I dont know what to do anymore!!!! I want her to realize that she is making bad choices and I dont want her ending up like the neighbors kid!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• You are the parent control who she hangs with. Keep that phone & ipod , don't give in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I take the natural approach in this situation, let her fall on her face and learn from her mistakes. Obviously taking everything away isn't working. Oh, you can literally take everything away. Take away EVERYTHING out of her room but her bed and a few books. Take even her clothes. Give her clean clothes daily. Don't do her laundry, don't cook for her. If she thinks she can do anything she wants, then let her.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• As the big sister to a 13 yr old teen I'm in on the little girsl side, no matter how much she is pretending she doesn't care that you are taking away all of her privileges and grounding her I can guarantee that she does care. But that's not teaching her what you want her to understand, You need to find a constructive way to explain to her what she is doing wrong and why you are so concerned for her. Teenagers do have feelings for their parents if you can make them understand that you are looking out for them because they love you really make them get it seventy five percent of the time they'll respond. But nothing is fool proof, GL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Nov. 11, 2009