I think I need help...

My DD has a lot of qualities that I dont like in myself and its hard for me to not get angry with her when one of these qualities comes out... I am really finding myself not liking her very much or wanting to be around her!(her attitude doesnt help thats for sure!)! How can I get myslef to see past these things???How awful is that?... I know!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• lead by example. you see these traits in yourself so you should correct them and show her that it is not ok. Maybe talk to her about how you see yourself and that these specific things are not good. Sometimes by showing that we are not perfect, we change how our children act as well.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:23 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• This is where unconditional love kicks in, you got to see past those qualities you dislike, and see her for who she is.

Answer by older at 11:10 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• You sound like me... I know, I have a 14yr old (she is my dsd) and I am going thru the same thing--- I think when I see her get angry and frustrated a lot, I am seeing qualities in myself I don't like, and don't know how to solve it, esp. the poor attitudes I see in her. Its hard for me to be around someone so negative!! Just wanted to let you know I understand. I hate feeling the way I do toward her also. So many times I want to be unconditional in my love for her. Sometimes I have to give myself a 'time out' from her, instead of staying in the room --so I won't get so angry at her. It should get better, don't worry- it's a hard age, I am told--remember when you were that age??
    Anonymous

• i have a DD and she's 34 now. she only moved out 6 years ago. so....i can relate. she used to copy only my bad qualitys, or just simple things i did. like...the way i sit or laugh...etc. it made me dislike the things of her i tried so hard to like.
    the best thing i could do was getting her into a adult daycare service. she was'nt that disabled looking and they did'nt want her at first. i convinced them that "I NEEDED A BREAK" or i was going to explode. so they found a nich for her. also just finding stuff for her tto do was horrible. you can e-mail me personality fi you want, i've got more suggestions to help. speck323@yahoo.com
    speck323

Answer by speck323 at 8:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2009